Windows Admin Center version 2009 - Windows 2008 R2 issues

Copper Contributor

Made a fresh install of Windows Admin Center version 2009 on Windows 10 2004 machine, was able to add Server 2019 to it with no issues, but when trying to connect to Windows Server 2008 R2, getting "Windows Management Framework (WMF) 5 isn't installed".

I already tried to install WMF 5.1 and reinstall .Net Framework 4.6.2 with farther upgrade to 4.8

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/windows-powershell/wmf/setup/install-configure...

WMF 3.0 is not installed, after the WMF 5.1. I run Set-WSManQuickConfig in PS, and WinRM is running on both machines, firewall is disabled on both of them.

Successfully tried to enter remote PS from WAC (Windows 10) to Windows Server 2008 R2 (Enter-PSSession 2008R2).

As a test, tried to add another WS2008R2 server, but got the same issue.

Thank you,

Pavlo Mnykh  

8 Replies

@pavlomnykh Windows Server 2008R2 SP1 with all updates

pavlomnykh_0-1601248794596.png

@pavlomnykh Windows Server 2008 has reached end of support and thus, it is also no longer supported by Windows Admin Center. 

@Prasidh_Arora 

Thank you for such a quick response.

I'm working on the file server migration from 2008R2 to 2019 and WAC would be super helpful.

What is the latest WAC version that supports 2008R2 and were can I download it?

@pavlomnykh I suggest you use Storage Migration Service for that - you won't need to have your 2008 R2 servers connected to WAC to do it. Just install Storage Migration proxy on 2019 servers, Storage Migration Proxy and Storage Migration Service on your management server, and you're good to go.

@Prasidh_Arora @Alban1999 

I tried to make 2019 as a proxy and performed the first run of the migration.

But got 77 file errors and cannot download the log.

"

Notification details

Error
Failed to download the log file
9:44:10 AM
Source
Go to Storage Migration Service.
Type
Error
Ensure port TCP/445 (SMB File and Print Sharing) is open on the orchestrator server. The error was: The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '00:01:00'..

"

Already followed the recommended steps to increase time to 10 minutes and disabled firewalls on both machines, but still having the same error but with 10 minutes in the message description.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-migration-service/known-issues

Increasing the timeout to 60 minutes fixed the issue.

@pavlomnykh Hi There, I have installed Windows Admin center version 2009 and managing a 2016 cluster (4nodes). When I go to each node, under overview I see the performance graph (Network, CPU, Memory) but it only display it for last 60 secs. I had seen older version of Windows Admin center, where you can view  the data for last 15mins,day,week, month and year etc. Kindly let me know. Thanks.

@Prasidh_Arorawhat is the official way to migrate from Server 2008R2 to Server 2016?
I wanted to do this now with a Server 2019 as proxy and the WAC but this seems now no longer wanted

Greetings