Windows Admin Center 2110 - Storage Migration Service (Missing Start Transfer button)

Copper Contributor

Hi guys, testing out Storage Migration Service on the latest Windows Admin Center version 2110.

At the transfer phase, somehow the Start Transfer button to start the migration is missing.

Anyone else facing this? All validation is passed and tested on a few different VMs and its still showing the same.

Is this a bug, or am i missing something?

Refer to the picture. sms1-2110.PNGsms-2110.PNG

13 Replies
Yes, i'm seeing the exact same thing.
The phase details also disappear after a couple seconds when you click the job name.

@Jarrod Picha 

Experiencing the same!

Start transfer button missing. Server 2019. Any work around?

@alai876 

Temporary workaround that i have found is at Windows Admin Center 2110, uninstall Storage Migration Service extension v2.6. Once uninstalled, you will have the option to install the older Windows Server Migration Service 1.1392 extension.

Using the older version, you can start the transfer. Just need to ignore the "update is for available extension" prompt. This seems to be a temporary workaround until there is a new update for the extension.

hi guys, update on this bug. The microsoft team has rolled out an update for the SMS extension.
When you click on Storage Migration Service on WAC, you will see an Update is available for extension prompt.
The latest version of extension should be version 2.6.1
Please go ahead and update it. Cheers.
This fixed the issue for me. Thanks!

@kennycwk182 

Tried the newer 2.6.1 version and still seeing this occur...did the usual "clear browser cache" and still vanishes like my wife with the ATM card on  payday....anyone still seeing this?

@SumterClerk 

Yes. Now the Start Transfer works fine with the new extension update but the screen gets refreshed when you try to see the phase details. 

Also have issue with downloading the logs. Do others have similar issue?

@Hitesh8085 

Yes we saw similar behavior - in other threads others have removed WAC 2113 and replaced with 2110 and did not update and reported it seemed to work a "little" better.  Getting the error logs was a complete fail.  Luckily we had only a few files were erroring and were part of old path that was going to be purged post update anyway.  We did a validation after the last migration using RoboCopy and similar tools and didn't find anything mission critical that was missed.  We got lucky but I can see where this is going to be a significant issue in different scenarios.

@SumterClerk I was just looking into the same validation process with Robocopy. I figured I'm going to run storage migration run a few times to keep things up to date, then run a Robocopy right after to catch anything left out. That should hopefully reduce any lost files.

Do you have a copy of the switches you used in your robocopy command?

This is what i was planning on.

robocopy <source> \\<destination /mir /zb /mt:16 /tbd /r:1 /w:3 /fft /np /log:C:\temp\rclog.txt /tee

We found the actual process to work out pretty well - We did an update about every 7-10 days for 60 days to be safe. The last transfer we did over a holiday weekend so we had some extra time when no staff were present and file changes were not being made. That process ended up working out well. I will see if I still have the project folder with the scripts. If located will forward over to you but what you have there looks about right for RC...

@kennycwk182 

I have the same issue and am trying to locate an older version of WAC on-line, 2110 specifically, to no avail. Did you just have an older install available on-site?

Sorry, not 2110...that is the version I have.