SOLVED

WAC HA install on 2016 giving access denied starting

Copper Contributor

I followed the guide located here Deploy Windows Admin Center with High Availability | Microsoft Docs to install Windows Admin Center on a 2016 HA cluster and everything appeared to go fine but once it was complete the role is showing a status of failed in cluster manager. Under resource it says "failed to bring the resource Windows Admin Center Service online" and more details just shows access denied. Nothing else. Under services the same named service is running. The network resource it create starts at least..  A reinstall did nothing either. Anyone seen this or have insights?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by CraigM (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I was able to resolve this. We removed the ability for "everyone" to add new computers to the domain and limited it to a small group of people. Turns out that also affected this as it was trying to create a computer object for the service. I prestaged the PC and granted the correct permissions to our cluster name account (Reset Password, Validated Write to DNS Host Name, Validated Write to Service Principal Name) at which point it was able to bring it online.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CraigM (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I was able to resolve this. We removed the ability for "everyone" to add new computers to the domain and limited it to a small group of people. Turns out that also affected this as it was trying to create a computer object for the service. I prestaged the PC and granted the correct permissions to our cluster name account (Reset Password, Validated Write to DNS Host Name, Validated Write to Service Principal Name) at which point it was able to bring it online.

View solution in original post