Unable to install WMF 5.1 on Server 2008 (not R2)

Copper Contributor

I have been trying to install WMF 5.1 on some older 2008 Servers (they are not R2) so that I can use Storage Migration Services in WAC 1910.  So far I have been unsuccessful and all the documentation I have found refers to 2008 R2 (I have some of these too but they have installed WMF 5.1 successfully).

Currently the servers have WMF core (Posh 2.0) and when I try to run the script that installs Win7AndW2K8R2-KB3191566-x64.msu I get an error that I need to check the requirements or that it's not supported on this system.  The only requirements that I could find refer to .NET Framework 4.5.2 or greater be installed (which I've done).  Has anyone else had this issue?

1 Reply

I found a way around this issue.  Installing WMF 5.1 is necessary if you are trying to manage the server in WAC, but it is not necessary to use storage migration services.

I created jobs for those older 2008 (non-R2) servers, ran inventory, validation and data transfer.  Now I have not done the cutover, but in my instance because this is such a huge company I will have to do that another way anyway, but coordinating with the data team that has rights to rename old and new servers.