Storage Migration Service - Transfer differences runs out of memory on destination

Copper Contributor

I have been working through our older file servers to migrate to a newer OS.  I have one destination machine that I've synced data with multiple times while I worked on other issues with the cutover.  I now have a process to actually cutover and ran a 'transfer differences' before final cutover.  However it started failing between 50%-95% during the resync. Checking the SMS-Proxy logs on the destination I'm seeing resource exhaustion alerts.  

The source is Server 2012R2, fully updated going to a Server 2019 destination will all updates.  WAC is running on Server 2019 with all updates and WAC update applied.  

After the first time I noticed the memory exhaustion I upped the destination from 8GB to  16GB RAM.  Still failed a few hours into the resync. Data size is about 6TB across 4 or so volumes.  Lots of small files. RAM usage will balloon around the 50% mark then the SMS-Proxy service will crash.  Reboot and try again and it happens at a different percentage.

I've not run into this before as I have reynced this source and destination multiple times previously trying to get the timing right before downtime to cutover.  It just takes so long its hard to gauge.  Was just going to YOLO it this past weekend but this issue cropped up.  

I'll try to capture some screenshots during the next attempt.  I had something in the event logs but it looks like it got pushed out.  

1 Reply

@eJedi746 

I have a question for you if you don't mind. I am new to WAC and SMS. Wondering how long it took you to initially transfer your 6TB. I am trying to migrate 6TB from 2008 R2 to 2019 and it took 51 hours for mine. I am running WAC on my Windows 10 workstation and using the 2019 destination as the orchestrator.