Storage Migration Service - is the cutover automatically read-only or how does it work?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

How does the Storage Migration Service work during the cutover step if a user(s) is/are still changing the files at the source until the end?

I was watching Ned's last year's Ignite talk but he unfortunately skips that part around 45:40 or so.

Like is there a step after the cutover when servers (source and destination) have been renamed that the last changed files will be copied to the destination, or does the IT guy have to do it manually on those?

Or does the Storage Migration Service change the source shares into read-only mode at the end, and then does some magic at the destination side and they will end up with correct share-rights (write mode etc.) after everything? I am not talking about the NTFS stuff here, just share rights.

This seems that it could/would be very helpful for IT guys all over the world. Just a bit worried that if we need to manually change the share rights read-only before the last copy.

Thanks!

1 Reply

@Mika Suhonen Howdy. The amount of time between starting the cutover and how long they could change files is just a few seconds, as the source is disjoined from the domain and rebooted, forever ending access by remote domain users.

I recommend you simply schedule the cutover and tell them that if they keep changing files those changes will not be transferred unless you did so manually, perhaps using robocopy. We've talked about a catchup differential option but it's pretty expensive to re-run in terms of time and until we have an agent for the source computer that can make that efficient, we opt for not making the cutover take extra hours.