Storage Migration Service doesn't appear

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am intern and I have a small internship project. I tried to install the Storage migration service. Everything seems to be well installed. But I do not see the service between storage and storage replica.

I read this on the microsoft website:

Storage Migration Service doesn't show up in Windows Admin Center unless managing Windows Server 2019

When using the 1809 version of Windows Admin Center to manage a Windows Server 2019 orchestrator, you don't see the tool option for Storage Migration Service.

The the Windows Admin Center Storage Migration Service extension is version-bound to only manage WIndows Server 2019 version 1809 or later operating systems. If you use it to manage older Windows Server operating systems or insider previews, the tool will not appear. This behavior is by design.

To resolve, use or upgrade to Windows Server 2019 build 1809 or later.

The problem is that my server is already in 1809. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution?

Thank you :)

13 Replies

Hello,

I am sorry you are having issue.  I want to make sure your set up is completely accurate.  Can you verify that your Orchestration machine is on 1809, which it sounds like it is, then on the Orchestration machine open the command prompt and run 'sc query SMS' and make sure that the Storage Migration Service is Running.

On your client machine make sure that you are running the latest version of Windows Admin Center which can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/understand/windows-admin...

Once WAC is installed open it up in the browser and go to settings (gear in the upper right corner), under Gateway click Extension on the left hand panel and then go to installed extensions and confirm that the Storage Migration extension is one of the installed extensions.  It should be by default if the latest version of WAC is installed.

Go back to the main page of WAC and connect to your Orchestration machine.  See if the Extension is showing.

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as the original poster, Storage Migration Service is not listed in Windows Admin Center. I am using Windows Server 2019 Eval.

Windows Admin Center version 1809.5 Build 1.1.1812.03003

Storage Migration Service installed is 0.59.0

When I ran the "sc query SMS" command, I got the following error: 

[SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Y

It appears Storage Migration Service is not installed on your machine.  Typically when you connect to an instance of Windows Server 2019 in WAC you should see Storage Migration Service as an option in the left hand menu.  If the machine you are connected to does not have SMS installed it should prompt you to install SMS on the machine:

image.png

It sounds like you are indicating that when you connect to your copy of Server 2019 via WAC you are not seeing Storage Migration Service as an extension option in the left hand menu.  You say you have the 1809.5 version of WAC but your build number is 1.1.1812.03003.  I just installed the 1809.5 Build from the website https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/understand/windows-admin... and my version installed is 1.1.28771.0.  I also have the 0.59.0 SMS extension installed by default.  Can you try uninstalling your current WAC and use the 1809.5 version found at the above link and reconnect to your version of Server 2019 and see if the SMS extension now appears?

Thanks, Eric

Thanks for your reply Eric.

No luck after uninstalled/reinstalled and reboot. Looks like we have the same version. Here are some screenshots from my Windows Server 2019 VM

WAC - installed version from Programs and Features 1.1.28771.0
WAC.PNG

WAC - got this from clicking on the ? on the far right

WAC2.PNG

WAC - Storage Migration Service missing from the Tools list, no prompt to install

WAC3.PNG

Here is the installed extension version for SMS

WAC4.PNG

Finally, my current version of Windows Server 2019.

Winver.PNG

It may be due to the Evaluation OS.  If you wouldn't mind can you run a powershell command on your version of Server 2019 and tell me what the output is?

[uint32](ComputerInfo | Select-Object OsOperatingSystemSKU).OsOperatingSystemSKU

The output I received after running the powershell command is 80.

Thanks

Hi ygman,

I was able to get some more information about your issue.  Unfortunately Storage Migration Service will not work with 2019 Evaluation edition.  It will neither allow the extension to load in WAC nor will the feature install on the OS.  If you would like to use Storage Migration Service you will need a release version of Windows Server 2019.

Eric

Wanted to test SMS before moving to Windows Server 2019. Thanks for all your help Eric.

Got a bit of a similar issue when trying to get the storage migration service setup. I've gone over most of the walkthroughs out there for it and have the latest version of the server 2019 eval along with windows admin center 1909 preview according to what it says in the download page however when I try to setup SMS or SMS proxy from roles and features it doesn't appear to exist. I've read that it was a known issue with previous eval versions of server 2019 but can't help thinking I've missed a step somewhere. My server version is on 1809 as well. wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

@stretchable SMS is not supported on any 2019 eval and as far as I am aware there are no plans to ever support it even in future updates. To use SMS you need to use a full version of Server 2019.

@swansoer @Justine8 Good news!  Looks like there is a workaround and that Microsoft plans to fix this "soon" in future evaluation versions of Windows Server.  I wanted to share the current solution (and cause), as I ran into the same issue attempting to test Storage Migration Service with WAC on eval versions of Windows Server that come with the Windows and Office Deployment Lab Kit.

Storage Migration Service isn't included in Windows Server 2019 Evaluation or Windows Server 2019 Es...

When using Windows Admin Center to connect to a Windows Server 2019 Evaluation release or Windows Server 2019 Essentials edition, there isn't an option to manage the Storage Migration Service. Storage Migration Service also isn't included in Roles and Features.

This issue is caused by a servicing issue in the Evaluation media of Windows Server 2019 and Windows Server 2019 Essentials.

To work around this issue for evaluation, install a retail, MSDN, OEM, or Volume License version of Windows Server 2019 and don't activate it. Without activation, all editions of Windows Server operate in evaluation mode for 180 days.

We have fixed this issue in a later release of Windows Server.

if you getting same problem on windows server 2022 do this:
Launch a PowerShell as an Administrator
Type dism /online /get-currentedition and press ENTER
Type dism /online /get-targeteditions and press ENTER
Type dism /online /set-edition:serverstandard /productkey:<KEY-KEY-KEY-KEY-KEY> /accepteula and press ENTER

dism /online /set-edition:serverstandard /productkey:VDYBN-27WPP-V4HQT-9VMD4-VMK7H /accepteula

@pikman 
Thank you, works great on testing server. You save my time :) ...