SOLVED

Storage Migration Service Cutover fail validation

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to migrate my Server 2008 R2 to my Server 2019 with Storage Migration Service.  On cutover validations I get the following failure:

validation fail.png

Now, I am under the impression that since these are Active Directory Domain Controllers, you can't have local user accounts (correct me if I am wrong).  Considering this, how am I supposed to get around this failure?

I have been banging my head against the wall for hours here lol.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by kneureuter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @kneureuter 

Unfortunately, SMS cutover is unsupported on domain controllers. This has a workaround which may or may not be viable - demote the source, then promote after cutover. Of course can only be done if you have more than one domain controller. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-migration-service/faq#is-domain-cont...

The doc doesn't go into detail why it's not supported, but I suspect you are correct in that a DC has no local users.

Cheers,

Mark

@HidMov Thank you for your advice!  I will give that a try.

@HidMov

I'm failing at the same point but my servers are not DC's just a couple of systems i built to test migration services. What should i be looking at since it says "We can connect to the source computer using a local user account.
Fail: Access is denied"

I see the local MSFT****** account created on the destination computer but not on the source computer.
Source computer is - Windows Server 2012 R2.
Destination Computer is - Windows Server 2019

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kneureuter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @kneureuter 

Unfortunately, SMS cutover is unsupported on domain controllers. This has a workaround which may or may not be viable - demote the source, then promote after cutover. Of course can only be done if you have more than one domain controller. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-migration-service/faq#is-domain-cont...

The doc doesn't go into detail why it's not supported, but I suspect you are correct in that a DC has no local users.

Cheers,

Mark

View solution in original post