SOLVED

Remote Desktop not working in Admin Center

Deleted
Not applicable

Setup a test of the Windows Admin Center, the only thing I cant seem to get to work is the Remote Desktop tab. I just get the spinning dots and errors in the console, which I have attached. Any Ideas on how to resolve? 

20 Replies
I've noticed a few problems with this... particularly with Chrome. As of Chrome 70, it's working perfectly for me, but if you're still on older release, there's a lot of known issues with it. Any extra details you can provide might be helpful here...

Updated to the latest Chrome Version 70.0.3538.77 and still having the same issue. The problem also happens in other browsers like Edge. 

I just stood up admin center as well and am having the same exact issue with remote desktop.  I've tried to connect to multiple different server using edge, chrome, firefox... remote desktop just 'spins'.  Never connects.  Everything else seems to be working.

Admin center installed on 2019 server....attempting to remote desktop to 2019, 2016, 2012 servers.  None work.

Are you getting the same errors in your developer console? 

Developer console?  Is that a separate install?

Its built into most browsers, I have attached how to find it in chrome

Oh sorry, I thought you were referencing some 'developer console' for admin center specifically.  Wasn't thinking at all about browser functionality.

Yes same exact errors when attempting to RDP.

This is the consistent error on Win10 1709 and 1803 for remote desktop module only.  Event viewer and Powershell work fine.

HTTP400: BAD REQUEST - The request could not be processed by the server due to invalid syntax. (XHR)PUT - https://localhost:6516/api/nodes/[servername]/features/powershellApi/pssessions/instantSession

Upgraded to Windows 10 1809, still same issue. 

I also had problems with remote desktop connection not working on-premises. And Settings > Remote Desktop page show "Get-Member" errors.

But when setting up in the Azure VM environment, Remote Desktop Connection worked without any problems. Therefore, when comparing Remote Desktop settings in the registry, I confirmed that the following two values exist on the Azure VM side and do not exist in the on-premise side clean installation environment.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services
KeepAliveEnable    REG_DWORD    1
KeepAliveInterval    REG_DWORD    1

I created the same registry by running these command line on a remote server on-premises, the problem was solved.  Settings > remote desktop page's error was also gone. (You do not need to restart the server.)

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services" /v "KeepAliveEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services" /v "KeepAliveInterval" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Perhaps it is only necessary for something to exist in the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services" key. If there is no value in this reg path, $regisgtryKey vaiable (you can see it by using [>_] show power shell script button) set to null, and followed script will cause error.

$registryKey = Get-ItemProperty -Path $RdpGroupPolicyRegistryKey -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

if ((Get-Member -ImputObject $registryKey ... <- Error

best response
Solution

I could fix this problem by enabling "Allow users to connect remotely by using Remote Desktop Services" policy settings (gpedit.msc or gpo). This policy add fDenyConnection=0 value to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services", so $resgistryKey never set to null.

Can confirm かずお 山内 Solution worked for me! Thanks

Confirmed as well!  Thank you. 

GPO = Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Desktop Session Host/Connections/Allow users to connect remotely by using Remote Desktop Services = Enabled

I can confirm that setting either of these works. It is not necessary to add both:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services" /v "KeepAliveEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services" /v "KeepAliveInterval" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Exactly. It is important that there is at least one value in this place. The name, type, and data of that value can be anything.

This bug was probably fixed in Windows Admin Center 1809.5 Insider Preview.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/11/announcing-windows-admin-center-1809-5-inside...

I'm still unable to remote desktop via Admin Center even after making the changes in the registry:

I'm receiving the following error:
HTTP400: BAD REQUEST - The request could not be processed by the server due to invalid syntax. (XHR)PUT - https://[gatewayserver:8080]/api/nodes/[servername]/features/powershellApi/pssessions/instantSession

I installed version 1809 on a new 2016 vm that has nothing else installed on it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

I could fix this problem by enabling "Allow users to connect remotely by using Remote Desktop Services" policy settings (gpedit.msc or gpo). This policy add fDenyConnection=0 value to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services", so $resgistryKey never set to null.

View solution in original post