Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Outlook 2019 30 seconds startdelay on Server 2019 RDS

Copper Contributor

I've got a strange issue with Outlook 2019 Running on a RDS server (on Server 2019 Standard). It take most of the times when logging into the session about 30 seconds to start Outlook. Another client connecting to the same server running Exchange 2019 starts immediatly. When Outlook is started and closed Outlooks starts in 4-5 seconds. When closed longer the time to start increases to 30 seconds. All other office apps like Excel start immediatly.

I thought it could be related to autodiscovery but i've block almost all discoverytypes in the registry. Still slow. As said a free client like for example EM client takes only 1 second to start on the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies

Hi @RolandManders 

Just to confirm - user A is logging onto RDS, fires up Outlook 2019 and it takes around 30 seconds to load. User B logs onto the same RDS server and firing up Outlook 2019 and it loads much faster?

If I've understood this correctly, I'd look into the differences between the two mailboxes. Specifically:

*Are there any plugins running (or trying to run and failing) on the mailbox that takes 30 seconds?

*How big is the mailbox?

*Are lots of additional mailboxes trying to open?

*Are there any .PST files attached to the mailbox?

*Are box mailboxes in the same database/exchange server?

*Is the mailbox running cached mode?

These are the area's I would being to look at to see why Outlook would take a long time to load.

@HidMov 

Hello HidMov. Thanks for replying.

No both users encounter the same delay. However when outlook is closed and restarted within a couple of seconds it starts fast. When waiting for a longer time it takes 30 second again. This delay is almost always 30 seconds. It looks like a timeout (but not from autodiscover as far as I can see.

*Are there any plugins running (or trying to run and failing) on the mailbox that takes 30 seconds?

I've unchecked them all. No improvement

*How big is the mailbox?

Very small since it is a fresh install (20MB and 100MB for the two i've tested)

*Are lots of additional mailboxes trying to open?

It is a 20 core Xeon with 128GB of memory and 20 users on the server. Everything else is running smoothly. 

*Are there any .PST files attached to the mailbox?

No extra PST attached

*Are box mailboxes in the same database/exchange server?

Yes

*Is the mailbox running cached mode?

No. I've tried that as well, still no improvement.

Thanks for you reply.

Roland

Hi @RolandManders 

Certainly bit of a weird one. If Outlook opens just fine in Safe Mode, then it feels like it could be a auto discover issue despite you making changes to the registry. Have you run the internal and external autodiscover tests to confirm it's finding what it should be finding quickly?

Might try and replicate this in my lab because it's piqued my interest.

Hi @HidMov 

It certrainly is weird. I have several customers who have the same sort of setup but no one experiences the strange issues. Autodiscover seems to function as it should. When I remove the outlook profile and add the account again it almost instantly sees the Exchange server with the mail account. 

What I also sometimes encounter is that when I open the outlook profile it seems to have the same timeout before I get to the screen of the e-mail addresses.

Once outlook is running there are no real delays anymore.

Thanks,

Roland Manders

@RolandManders 

Hi

I have the same problem, did you find a solution?

Best regards Thomas

@ThomasKron  Same issue here.  There's lo load on the server.  Outlook is running Online with no cached mode.  Internet is 1/1Gbps

30 Second timeout.  I think this is DNS related. There are some entries for DNS locally but not all.

If I find an answer, I'll post it here.