mmc “you do not have permissions to see the list of sessions from windows clients”

MVP

Trying to use Computer Management to see open files across the network.

I get the error when I'm logged into the machine with a user in the AD Built-in Administrators group.

Running MMC, I have the Shared Folder add-in, and try to open the treeview for Shared Folders -> Sessions  (or Open Files) and get “you do not have permissions to see the list of sessions from windows clients”

1. What permission is missing for a login that's already in the Administrator group?
  2. This error doesn't occur for the main network administrator when logged in on that machine, but it still happens when running Computer Management pointing to that machine from another.

What is determining this and what am I missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Reply
I am also looking for an answer with this message,

My helpdesk team were members of Domain admins and could see and close open files using MMC to connect to the Netapp filer

We are hardening our environment so have removed the helpdesk from "Domain Admins"
I have delegated the users in AD and they can do what they need there.

I have granted rights to a security group for Helpdesk members
This security group has full rights to the share, and has also been added to permissions

but they are unable to use MMC to view open files or shares and then close files as needed