Help connecting to Windows 10 Pro Insider Slow Ring PC from Windows 10 Pro Semi-Annual Channel PC

Brass Contributor

I'm trying to access a this Windows 10 PC from this one (detailed config at each link; WAC running on the latter PC) on the same LAN using my Windows account, but I get the following error message:

WinRM cannot process the request. The following error with errorcode 0x8009030e occurred while using Negotiate authentication: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated. Possible causes are: -The user name or password specified are invalid. -Kerberos is used when no authentication method and no user name are specified. -Kerberos accepts domain user names, but not local user names. -The Service Principal Name (SPN) for the remote computer name and port does not exist. -The client and remote computers are in different domains and there is no trust between the two domains. After checking for the above issues, try the following: -Check the Event Viewer for events related to authentication. -Change the authentication method; add the destination computer to the WinRM TrustedHosts configuration setting or use HTTPS transport. Note that computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated. -For more information about WinRM configuration, run the following command: winrm help config.

On the target PC, I already have:

• Enabled Private Windows Remote Management inbound rules in Windows Defender Firewall settings
  • Enabled Remote Management Service
  • Enabled Remote Management under the Standard Profile in Group Policy
  • Ensured my account is enabled for Remote Desktop

What am I missing?

8 Replies

You can try to create a local account without a microsoft account associated with it, and disable authentication at the network level. Try and tell me if it worked.  @jdrch 

@Erick Garcia GodoyThanks, but I'm not sure how that helps. WAC's own UI indicates it should work using the user's existing Microsoft Account. If 2 Windows 10 PCs have the same Microsoft Account that's also an administrator, WAC should connect to one from the other right out of the box (or at least with minor, documented changes on either or both sides). Needing to create a local account or troubleshoot using that kinda defeats the entire purpose.

@jdrch  Smoothly. Do you have any other Microsoft accounts that you can use as a test?

@Erick Garcia Godoy  No. Most users have only 1 Microsoft Account. Mine is the admin and owner of both machines in question. Anyway, see this Twitter thread for some troubleshooting steps Rafael Rivera and I have tried so far, as well as this other TechCommunity thread about the same issue that a Microsoft employee has replied to.

@jdrch Thank you for reporting! We are aware of the issue and are working to get it fixed in the next release.