Guidance request: DP-compliant tool for moving large volumes of shared windows folders (business)

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone
My first post here.
I am working in public service in the UK as a business analyst. As part of a transformation project, I was asked to substitute for our architect / access management team to do a research on recommended solutions for moving large volumes of shared folders. I wonder if I could get some guidance on where to look and with what criteria in mind. Pardon my amateur lingo / approach - this is a new territory.

So far, we have established as follows.

1. Folder structures shall be moved to new locations, maintaining the permissions; at this stage, we believe this is going to be within the existing domains.

2. The data shall be split in two parts based on either last access or last modification (last access seems more appropriate). This is a one-off, however, our team may make use of the tool in the future for other projects. 

3. Needs to have a reasonable value to performance ratio (as subjective as it may sound). Could be subscription as well.

4. The more automated the better, i.e. overnight batches, ideally, with confirmations. 

5. Simple to set up. 

6. It turns out the last accessed date showing per folder on windows is not reliable as it disregards the subfolders and their content - only looks at the files it contains. The tool must not be prone to this error.

Guidance on certifications, essential features, recommended solutions and ones to be avoided, as well as the best online resources / repositories for this knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

KR
Tom

0 Replies