Getting error when trying to manage local pc with windows admin center

Copper Contributor

I just installed the 1910 version of windows admin center on my windows 10 pro pc. Whenever I click on connect i get the error of:

Connection error

Connecting to remote server gaming-laptop failed with the following error message : WinRM cannot process the request. The following error with errorcode 0x8009030e occurred while using Negotiate authentication: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated. Possible causes are: -The user name or password specified are invalid. -Kerberos is used when no authentication method and no user name are specified. -Kerberos accepts domain user names, but not local user names. -The Service Principal Name (SPN) for the remote computer name and port does not exist. -The client and remote computers are in different domains and there is no trust between the two domains. After checking for the above issues, try the following: -Check the Event Viewer for events related to authentication. -Change the authentication method; add the destination computer to the WinRM TrustedHosts configuration setting or use HTTPS transport. Note that computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated. -For more information about WinRM configuration, run the following command: winrm help config. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

I an unsure what to do at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies

@Tom HeflinI have the exact same issue. Given that your problem has been open for well over a month with 0 replies, I think I'm just gonna give up on WAC.

I did already. Kind of sad if you ask me.

@Tom HeflinWe're gonna have to make some noise about it. I filed a bug on the UserVoice; kindly upvote and comment on it if you can. Also retweet and/or add to the thread on this tweet to the WAC Twitter.

It's important that we get this going; Linux, FreeBSD, and Illumos have easy web console remote management already via Cockpit, Webin, and Napp-it, respectively. Windows is way behind in this regard and needs to catch up. The status quo is neither the wave nor sustainable.

@jdrch Thanks for reporting! I have filed a bug and will get back to you with an update whenever I have one.

@Prasidh_Arora  Thanks! The Twitter thread I linked to also has some troubleshooting advice from Rafael Rivera as well as some other measures I've tried.

@Tom Heflin @Prasidh_Arora  So based on this discussion I'm abandoning the WAC effort as apparently WinRM, which WAC depends on, basically doesn't work outside of domains :face_with_rolling_eyes:

I gotta say I'm amazed this isn't mentioned in the documentation and that no one from Microsoft brought it up in our conversations so far, either.

WAC is a total waste of time.