Cannot Validate source and destination devices in Storage Migration Service

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to use Storage Migration Service and stuck at the "Validate source" step

getting an error "Fail: No SMB connection"  (Pic attached)

Step 6 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-migration-service/migrate-data)

Having issues trying to find a fix below are some errors from the logs

12/05/2019-16:30:37.013 [Erro] Destination volume has no drive level \\?\Volume{5ee218d7-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\. Skipping [d:\os\src\base\dms\service\OperationManager\TestDevicePairTask.cs::PerformVolumeTests::240]

12/05/2019-16:30:36.997 [Erro] SMBCheck stage returned SMBDetected= false [d:\os\src\base\dms\service\OperationManager\TestDevicePairTask.cs::TestSmbConnection::672]

12/05/2019-16:30:36.779 [Warn] Failed to find registered proxy using destination name prodfile3.monash.vic.gov.au :ErrorCode: 36869, Service Exception 0x9005
at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.ProxyManager.GetProxyRecordByHost(String host)
at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.ProxyManager.GetProxyDetail[T](String host)
at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.TestDevicePairTask.TestDestinationExists(CancellationToken cancelToken) [d:\os\src\base\dms\service\OperationManager\TestDevicePairTask.cs::TestDestinationExists::795]

12/05/2019-16:24:27.875 [Erro] The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. [d:\os\src\base\dms\service\ErrorHandlerBehaviorAttribute.cs::HandleError::42]

3 Replies

Did you find a solution to the problem? I am trying a migration from one cluster to another and encountered the same error. @andrewi005 

@thakkerjaySorry I gave up and used Robocopy in the end. 

@andrewi005 @thakkerjay Howdy,

Before we talk: I highly recommend opening a support case for this issue. It will involve looking at logs and network captures, and I am forbidden by policy to look at those here without MS Support handling the files due to GDPR laws. The Support folks can let me see them internally through their process.  

What OS are the source & the destination cluster? 

Also this screenshot is scrolled so I cannot see if the SMS Proxy is installed on the destination, but the later error suggests not. If not the orchestrator itself will perform transfer and that will be much slower.  I'd have expected this check to fail at Inventory if SMS Proxy could not contact the source machine. If the SMS proxy is installed on the destination node(s) then we'd need to confirm that you can manually map a drive from them to the source.