Cannot Enable Azure Backup in WAC

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to test out Azure Backup set up through the Azure Hybrid Services option in Windows Admin Center. When I get to the set up page, I get an error:

"Failed to get Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Vaults. Detailed error: The current subscription type is not permitted to perform operations on any provider namespace. Please use a different subscription."

I'm unable to change subscription from this window for some reason.

For the record, I am running WAC 1904.1. I am connected with my primary Azure account which has two subscriptions, one which is the limited one I get through Office 365 (access to Azure AD). The other one I use for all other services including Recovery Services, Azure Files, etc., so I know I have a subscription which supports the vaults Azure Backup needs.

I have confirmed that the latter of the two subscriptions is my default. I have also confirmed that an Azure user account without the "access to Azure AD" limited subscription can in fact use this second subscription to enable Azure Backup, but I need to use my primary Azure account.

Why can't I change the subscription at this page?

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 9.33.00 AM.png

4 Replies

I have this same error. I suppose the solution is to use a separate account that doesn't have access to any other subscriptions?

Same problem for me.

English error message

Failed to get Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Vaults. Detailed error: The current subscription type is not permitted to perform operations on any provider namespace. Please use a different subscription.

French error message

Échec de l'obtention du coffre Microsoft Azure Recovery Services. Erreur détaillée : Le type d'abonnement actuel n'est pas autorisé pour effectuer des opérations dans un espace de noms de fournisseur. Utilisez un autre abonnement.

@DamienB Turns out this error is due to a legacy subscription still being associated my account. The problematic subscription is called 'Access to Azure Active Directory'. I solved my issue by requesting that Microsoft delete it. The subscription is an artifact from the old Azure portal and isn't actually needed.

See this: What is the “Access to Azure Active Directory” subscription for? – AAD Support Notes (jasonfritts.me...

Thank you for the link, I will attach that to my ticket. I have issued a ticket before but the MS support guy had no clue what I talked about... Now they will.