SOLVED

Windows Insider builds as Custom Images

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to use Windows Insider builds as Custom Images?

I want to do some testing but when I try to upload an image of Windows 11 25217, the upload fails with the error "Your image version is not supported. Upload a single-session Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 11 Enterprise image."

I have taken the marketplace image of Cloud PC (Windows 11 22H2) and running Windows Update on it, to get the latest updates, then sysprepping, capturing the image and then successfully uploaded it in Endpoint Manager.

When I try taking the marketplace image of Cloud PC (Windows 11 22H2), enrolling it in Windows Insider program, running Windows Update to update to 25217, then sysprepping, and capturing the image, the upload into MEM fails with the error mentioned above. Same steps, just a different Windows build after running Windows Update...

Are custom image uploads being gated against Windows 11 Preview builds?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by mgbnet (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mgbnet I haven't tried this option! Instead, how about post deployment of the Windows 11 Cloud PC you enroll them for insiders program using the Update Rings?

askaresh_0-1666571032620.png

Tried this as a workaround and it seems to do the job for now. Would be nice to understand if preview builds are being gated from Custom Images, but using these configuration profiles meets my needs for now.

Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mgbnet (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mgbnet I haven't tried this option! Instead, how about post deployment of the Windows 11 Cloud PC you enroll them for insiders program using the Update Rings?

askaresh_0-1666571032620.png

View solution in original post