Cloud PC DeviceModel issue

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have just set up Windows365 Business machine, was going to assign Intune Baseline policies and some configuration items but when creating the dynamic group as specified in the edocs it doesn't show Cloud PC, but a generic virtual machine for DeviceModel of the Cloud PC machine. Did I miss a step?

Thanks.

8 Replies

Hiya KevHal2120

The query I have used for my dynamic group for all CloudPC devices:

(device.deviceModel -contains "cloud pc") or (device.deviceModel -contains "cloudpc") Hope this helps.

Hi CookieW,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is the model comes back as "VirtualPC" which is why the dynamic group is failing. Not sure why. The machine is definitely a Cloud PC.

Thanks.

@KevHal2120 

Hi Kev,

At the moment, only Windows 365 Enterprise Cloud PCs have the DeviceModel as Cloud PC which means you can't target policies to Windows 365 Business Cloud PCs using that method. Thank you for the feedback, we are looking into changing this in the future.

@KevHal2120 

Try "Virtual Machine" as the device model, though it will impact any Virtual Machine if they exist in your directory.

For AzureAD Dynamic Groups, you can break this down further by adding a new group called W365 Business Devices and using the dynamic member filter as - devicename startswith "CPC" (maybe it was contains?). Either way, it should point you in a good direction. 

Microsoft Verified Best Answer
No, you didn't miss a step, only W365 Enterprise show in MEM properly at this time. All W365 Business Cloud PC's show as a normal VM. Meantime, Jonathan Green provides great suggestion.
There is a frustrating behavior with Cloud PC and the device.model string. They start off as "Cloud PC" however after a restore operation is performed on a Cloud PC, the device.model string changes to "Virtual Machine". This breaks all assignments that use a filter leveraging this logic. Because logic is limited in device filters, we rely on this value being persistent.

@SinceVanilla

Definitely an oversight, but -

If you can offer some more detailed info, I can put a group together more tailored for your needs.

Let us know.

@SinceVanilla I apologize for the issue you're facing. We recently rolled out the ability for Windows 365 Business admins to more easily enroll their new Cloud PCs into Intune: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-365/business/change-organization-default-settings

As part of this change, we now enroll with the model set to Cloud PC Business <config> to make it easier to identify Windows 365 Business Cloud PCs from any Virtual Machines you may also be managing with Intune.

I would also recommend using a dynamic group like Jonathan Green mentioned. Please let me know if I can help with that.