X2Go and Xserver issues

Copper Contributor

I have just bought a new PC with Windows 11 and installed my usual apps but am having problems connecting to my unix server remote desktop via X2Go and getting errors with Xserver through ssh in MobaXterm.

Switching to my Windows 10 PC it all works as expected. On Windows 11 X2Go errors with

"Access denied for 'password' Authentication that can continue publickey, password"

The password is correct and the Windows 11 PC is temporarily set as DMZ in my router.

In the ssh shell on my remote server I'm seeing

MoTTY X11 proxy: unable to connect to forwarded X server: Network error: Connection refused
Error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0

Switching to my Windows 10 PC, no errors, everything works. Settings in MobaXterm and X2Go are identical on Win10 and Win11 as they were copied across.

I would appreciate any suggestions before I go back to Windows 10.

[EDIT]

A little detective work showed that Windows firewall was not asking to allow C:\Program Files (x86)\x2goclient\VcXsrv\vcxsrv.exe for some reason, allowing it manually got X2Go working but MobaXterm still can't connect in to the Windows 11 x server.

2 Replies

@Ian_Turley  Same here, with Win 10 no problems to connect. Patched installing x2go under WSL2. Working, but annoying.

I ended up installing Kaspersky and after some time tried x2go again, it connected first time with no issues. I guess something in Windows firewall was blocking it, try resetting your firewall to defaults, it may help.