Workload balancing on E-cores seems strange on desktop

Copper Contributor

Hey there!

Intel i9-12900K + ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 owner here. Windows 11 Pro with all updates. All drivers from ASUS site are installed.

I noticed strange system behavior during load balancing.

Example 1. Archiving huge file with Winrar 6.02. When I minimize Winrar to panel archiving is twice as slow. (Winrar process stays at normal priority). No additional load on desktop. Just minimized to panel.

Example 2. Archiving huge file with Winrar 6.02. When I create a second workspace in Windows and switch to it (Crtl + Win + -> ) Winrar on the first workspace get up to 50% speed penalty.

No minimized to panel, just stayed at foreground on 1-st workspace. No additional workload on both workspaces.

I tried some other tasks such as a report building from small ERP system installed on my PC and this task is also addressed.

A small investigation has shown that minimizing to a panel or using an application not on the current workspace is a condition for transferring the workload to E-cores. Even when no additional workload. With normal processes priority.

I tried Balanced and Max. performance power plans, no difference.

I don't want to use a second monitor instead of an additional workspace. Disabling E-cores in BIOS (or using Scrolllock trick) or fiddling with Process Lasso are the only alternatives?

Will the issue be fixed in future Windows 11 patches?

Will the patched scheduler be back ported into Windows 10 for correct support of heterogeneous Intel CPUs ?

1 Reply
Fast Old and First (FOF) algorithm looks very interesting when system requires performance, not energy saving, isn't it?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/samehe-icac13.processorhetrogene...