Windows Mobile Hotspot Bug - Crashes Internet Apps

Copper Contributor

I found a weird bug when I updated Windows yesterday. I have my computer connected to the internet via ethernet cord. But I use it as a hotspot for my phone (I don't get cell signal where I am). This has worked great for years. But after the update, when I turn on Mobile hotspot in Windows, it crashes any apps that are connecting to the internet. This includes browsers (Edge, Chrome and Firefox), as well as apps like Steam. The internet is working great. I've check on multiple computers. If I turn off Mobile hotspot in Windows, all the apps using the internet work perfectly again.

My Windows build:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.739
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.739.0

My device build:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

37 Replies
I'm currently experiencing this bug as well. Running a desktop pc that connects to the net via wifi, and connect my phone to the net via a hotspot from my pc due to only being allowed to register so many devices on my network.
I am having the same problem after update.
I am in the same situation
From what you explained it is a bug, therefore open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue and you may upvote existing bugs.
Hello!
Same issue here on Windows 10. Turning mobile hotspot on crashes any apps connected to the web (on the pc). All ethernet (through powerline adapter) until wifi to phone using the hotspot. Haven't found anything relevant yet about that issue.

@torg842Same issue here, very frustrating, crashes or disables all internet browsers and apps as others have stated. Stop the hotspot and it's fixed.

Found this article - Win11 does it again

Microsoft’s latest update, which rolled out June 16, is already causing an issue with some PCs.

According to the official Microsoft (opens in new tab) post – spotted by Windows Central – Windows 11 update KB5014697 is preventing the Wi-Fi hotspot feature from working correctly on some PCs. Some systems running the update will lose internet connection when acting as a hot-spot host for other devices.

The company is currently working on a permanent solution but meanwhile is offering the following temporary fix: "To mitigate the issue and restore internet access on the host device, you can disable the Wi-Fi hotspot feature. For instructions, please see Use your Windows PC as a mobile hotspot (opens in new tab)."

However, the best solution may be to uninstall the update altogether until there’s a proper fix for this issue. If you want to know how to do that, check out our How to uninstall a Windows 10 update guide, which has several options that will work with Windows 11 as well.

@torg842 I'm on windows 10 but the exact same update push did the exact same thing to my PC.

+1 having this issue on w10 after recent update.

@torg842 yup I also have this problem since two days ago and it's verry anoying since my pc acces point is the only wifi avaliable for my phone :\ 

Experiencing this too on Windows 11, first time attempting to use mobile hotspot, using WiFi to wifi. Works fine on the connected devices but internet apps on the host don't work. Some level of internet access does work on the host e.g. I can ping 8.8.8.8 and use curl on the command line, but no browser will work.
Also having this problem after installing the new update. Turning on hotspot crashes apps like Discord and Firefox.

TMajhome

I uninstalled KB5014697 and everything worked fine, again. On 6/19 KB5014697 was pushed. The same problem, reappeared!

Correction: 6/19 KB5014699 was pushed. Uninstalling it, made things work, again.

I have windows 10 and I am also experiencing this. I saw someone mention the undo update option but mine won't allow me to (greater than 10 days!?)

I really hate windows but since they cornered the market and so many programs only work with it they have most us by the spheres

They are apparently aware;

https://petri.com/microsoft-fix-windows-bug-wi-fi-hotspot/

Does this problem start after the recent update?
If yes, try uninstalling the Windows Update and restart your PC and see if the problem persists?

@Reza_Ameri 

if it's been 10 days since the update you aren't able to, on w10 anyway...I tried

The 10 days is when you upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11.
However, for updates you may uninstall them any time.

@torg842 Hello!
Same issue here on Windows 10. Turning mobile hotspot on crashes any apps connected to the web (on the pc). All [hyperlink removed by admin] ethernet (through powerline adapter) until wifi to phone using the hotspot. Haven't found anything relevant yet about that issue.