Windows ClearType Text Tuner reports incorrect resolution

Copper Contributor

Windows ClearType Text Tuner informs me that, "Your C49RG9x monitor is not set to its native resolution" and offers to change it to its "native resolution of 3840x1080. This was also an issue with Windows 10.

I suspect that other subsystems in windows also get this wrong as whenever I load a game (like Halo MCC) I have to manually adjust the resolution from 3840x1080 to its actual resolution of 5120x1440.

I have an RTX 3070 TI card, and this issue has also been verified to exist on other desktops using an RTX 2070 and also intel UHD onboard/integrated GPU (using the same monitor) .

My m1 macbook does not have this issue, nor does ubuntu 18.04 or ubuntu 20.04, so it's fair to say it is NOT a monitor issue.

6 Replies
Did you ever resolve this? I am seeing the same with a Samsung Neo G9 on Windows 11. Did you ever resolve this?

@ziphnor 

Identical Samsung Neo G9.
And the only problem I have, 
Cleartype always uses the wrong resolution. 
And Outlook is unreadable! (like the ClearType tuner ;p)

I have the same problem, also with a Neo G9 5120x1440.

I have created an issue in the windows 11 feedback hub, please upvote: https://aka.ms/AAkcebe

@JayBaywatch 

Same issue on Windows 11 with HP Z40c G3 display on 2 different computers.

@JayBaywatch  same here, same monitor but windows 11.

Didn't noticed on Windows 10 but definitely noticed after upgrading to windows 11. Font smearing, drop down lists with even worse font rendering.