Windows 11 Updating AMD Graphics

Copper Contributor

I'm having an issue where Windows Update keeps updating my graphics driver with the Microsoft driver. I've turned the device installation setting to "No," but Windows keeps updating the graphics driver thus I cannot access the AMD performance app cause the AMD software conflicts with the generic Windows driver.

Is there another way to prevent Windows from updating my graphics card and only allow AMD to update it?

27 Replies

@Bothrops you have to updated to latest radeon driver from amd website then before windows erases it use the show hide updates tool from Microsoft and then hide the bugged update before its downloaded and installed. 

@giriplacidYes thank you, I know how to do it I just wanted to share my experience as well and maybe it will get fixed in 5 years...

@Leroy_Dartagnan 

Not sure if anyone else found a solution to this but after windows update "updated" my AMD driver and made my AMD adrenalin stop working, I went to device manager and clicked on roll back driver. When it asked why I was rolling it back, I just clicked that it was making my apps not work properly or something like that and AMD adrenalin is working again and windows hasn't tried to "update" my AMD driver again...yet. We'll see how it goes.

I am on windows 11. I installed the latest stable AMD adrenalin 22.3.1 (released 3/9/22) on my Acer aspire 5 (AMD ryzen 3 3200U w radeon vega 3 graphics). Windows update "updated" the AMD driver automatically causing AMD adrenalin to stop working. Went to device manager -> display adapters -> AMD radeon vega 3 -> driver -> roll back driver. AMD adrenlin is working again for now.

@giriplacid 

Thank you for this, amd gpu update is conflicting on amd Radeon software, it seems that This is the only solution to still update other windows critical software.

Windows 11 is just my solution on my black screen, it seems windows 10 is really problematic on amd gpu, Now this is the only minor problem I have like in TS, redeon is conflicting.

Thanks again mate

Can confirm that the issue still persists - conflicting and self-rollbacking AMD Display driver from WinUpdate versus AMD Radeon Adrenalin Software bundle 22.5.1 (GPU RX5600XT).

Hopefully there will be some progress on 22H2 Feature Update that's coming.

PS: Using "wushowhide" helper did not work, it's not listed there anymore.

I have A 2021 Lenovo with Ryzen 7 - Radeon Graphics, & Nvidia RTX. and now that you mention it YA! lol the same thing is happening to me. It's almost every 24hrs exactly I have to re-install the AMD drivers because it's saying that my windows update is replacing it. I've been looking high and low still can't seem to find how to disable that auto feature in windows update. but maybe it lies within that micro update. thanks for poitning that out.

@Leroy_Dartagnan 

@LudaMac 

At this point, I pause Windows Updates for 5 week (the maximum allowed pause). When I update, I just reinstall everything every 5 weeks because Windows Update keeps replacing the AMD software with some basic whatever drivers.

@LudaMac 

I already solved mine, there's a guide somewhere you just need to search for it, kerwprd is something kike this "how to disable windows 11 automatic gpu update" I remember I edit something and since then, I will always manually update my devices because Microsoft will ig ore future device update, It somewhere on windows update option, I will get back to you guys When I opened my computer.