Windows 11 - KB5014668 Win-X Menu bug (Start right click menu) : Custom links broken

Copper Contributor

After applying KB5014668, current and later when you added custom links to the Win X menu location they will not show up. Removing this update will resolve the issue. 

(All new users) C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
(Current user) C:\Users\"UserName"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX. 

Noticed they update : 

• Updates the Start menu to display Windows PowerShell when you right-click (Win + X) the Start button after you have uninstalled Windows Terminal.

This must of broke this. 
Before: 

Zenithtwc_1-1656711996643.png

After:

Zenithtwc_0-1656711905116.png

See here: example of it not working 

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/after-kb5014668-update-cant-modify-winx-menu-winx-menu-changed.7294/

9 Replies
I have the same problem, and neither adding the shortcuts (to either default or my user Group3 folders, nor WinX menu editor worked.
Thank you for sharing, since this is a bug, I advise you to open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue. Make sure share steps to reproduce this problem too.

As a follow-up: it turns out this was a bug in StartAllBack (v3.4).  It has been fixed in version 3.5, and the WinX menu behaviour is back to normal.

@Reza_Ameri 

@Reza_AmeriAlready reported it in the feedback hub, which didn't answer anything I bought up.

Microsoft Response:

Thank you for your feedback! To make sure users are still able to quickly access the console if Windows Terminal has been uninstalled, we're updating the Win + X menu to show Windows PowerShell instead. If you have Windows Terminal installed and would like PowerShell to open in Terminal, go to Settings > Privacy & Security . For Developers and set Terminal as your default terminal app.

UPDATE: We updated Win + X so that if Windows Terminal is installed the menu will include Terminal, and in cases where Windows Terminal is uninstalled, it will display Windows PowerShell with Build 22593, now available in the Dev and Beta Channels: https://aka.ms/WIP22593

Allison - S  Microsoft Engineer

There are several feedbacks in the Feedback Hub and Microsoft might not response to every feedback, but they review all feedbacks and take them into consideration.
After uninstalling StartAllback it was still in C:\ProgramFiles and launching some processes on startup. Booting in safe mode and removing all StartAllback files and executables fixed this win + x issue for me. Make sure there are no references to StartAllback using everything (voidtools).

This just started on Windows Server 2019 with the September 2022 Cumulative Update. Removing the update resolves the issue. We use GPP to delete the WinX folder and then re-populate with shortcuts for our users. 

The update is also resulting in Group Policy Preferences desktop shortcuts not being created on user's desktops.

KB5017315

Still is an issue. All started when they added "Terminal" to the Win-X menu. Not sure if this was intentional, but whoever changed the code broke this.