SOLVED

Windows 11 Crashes in Sleep Mode

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15 that came with Windows 11.

I've noticed that if I let Windows 11 install all its updates, at some point it will always crash when I leave it idle in Sleep or Hibernation modes. I don't know which update exactly causes this. I ran Dell Updates to get the latest drivers, but that doesn't seem to help.

I already reset the PC to its factory setup three times and I'm frustrated with this. Anyway, here is the Error and Critical log messages I find in the Event Viewer:

[ERROR]

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000006, 0xffff9b8a2d9d8a40, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 3ef4dbc1-5685-4270-8782-43a16abb1335."

[CRITICAL]

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Any idea what could be the reason behind this?

Thanks!

9 Replies
During update installation, it shouldn't go to sleep and Windows will prevent it. So check and make sure you have latest driver and firmware update for your device.
Open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
Try disable Sleep and Hibernate and download and install all updates and restart your PC and turn them on and see if the problem persist?

It does go into sleep, or it looks like it does, so please don't say it doesn't.  If you don't know, it's ok to remain silent.  This is a VERY annoying issue with windows 11!

Thank you!

@Reza_Ameri 

best response confirmed by YasmineRK (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Issue is closed. The problem was the preinstalled Windows image . So I cleaned all partitions and installed a new Windows disk image. I haven't encountered the problem since then.
You misunderstood my comment, when I mentioned it shouldn't go to sleep , I mean this is the expected result and when you are seeing different result, there is something wrong with your system. I am telling this to explain this is NOT a Windows bug but rather issue with your system. Then I shared you some solutions like updating firmware and drivers which I believe you ignore them. However, glad the problem have been fixed.
having the same issue but got resolution in comments
It can be frustrating when your computer crashes after installing updates. Here are some suggestions that may help resolve the issue:

Try disabling Fast Startup: Fast Startup is a Windows feature that allows your computer to start up quicker after shutting it down. However, it can also cause problems with sleep and hibernate modes. To disable Fast Startup, follow these steps:
Open the Control Panel and click on "Power Options."
Click on "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left panel.
Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable."
Uncheck the "Turn on fast startup" option.
Click on "Save changes."
Check for driver updates: Even though you have installed the latest drivers from Dell, there may be other drivers that need updating. Check the official websites of your hardware manufacturers for the latest driver updates. You can also use a third-party driver updater software like Driver Booster.

Disable Sleep and Hibernation modes: As a temporary solution, try disabling sleep and hibernation modes. To do this, follow these steps:

Open the Control Panel and click on "Power Options."
Under "Preferred plans," choose "High performance."
Click on "Change plan settings" next to "High performance."
Set "Turn off the display" and "Put the computer to sleep" to "Never."
Click on "Save changes."
Perform a System Restore: If the issue occurred after a recent Windows update, you can perform a System Restore to a point before the update was installed. To do this, follow these steps:
Press the Windows key and search for "System Restore."
Click on "Open" and follow the on-screen instructions.
Choose a restore point before the issue occurred and follow the prompts to restore your system.
The error message you provided includes a reference to a MEMORY.DMP file, which suggests a potential issue with system memory. Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to check for memory problems. You can access this tool by searching for "Windows Memory Diagnostic" in the Start menu.
Did you solve the problem by reinstalling Windows 11 on your machine?
Ensure that your power settings are configured correctly. Sometimes, aggressive power-saving settings can cause issues with sleep and hibernation modes. Try adjusting these settings to see if it makes a difference. and If the problem persists after trying the above steps, it's possible that there may be a hardware issue with your system. Contact Dell support for further assistance, especially if your laptop is still under warranty.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by YasmineRK (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Issue is closed. The problem was the preinstalled Windows image . So I cleaned all partitions and installed a new Windows disk image. I haven't encountered the problem since then.

View solution in original post