Windows 11 blur window bug

Copper Contributor

I rebooted my PC and opened Steam in a maximized window. After I closed it, the window was gone but I got this blur over my screen that overlaps everything. I'm using 2 monitors, the second one doesn't have this blur since the Steam window was on the first one.
I've seen someone here having the same problem. Is there a way to disable this blur effect until Microsoft fixes this bug?

P.S. Also, I've been having lags on file explorer when using the keyboard arrows to navigate, the only way to get rid of the lag is going fullscreen by pressing F11. Is there a working solution for windowed mode?

Win11BlurBug.png

31 Replies
I guess it is due to Google Chrome you have opened. Just try closing it. You may try Restarting the Windows Explorer process.

1. Press Win + X .
2. Click Task Manager.
3. If showing "More Details" in bottom, click on that, else go to next step.
4. Scroll to the bottom and find "Windows Explorer".
5. Right Click and Click "Restart".
6. There will be a black or white screen at the back of the window depenmding on your selected theme and in 2-3 seconds all the desktop and taskbar will be back.

If the problem finished after closing Google Chrome (According to Screen Shot), then just reopen and everything will be solved.

I hope my way helps.

Thanks
Hi,
Change the display scale from 125% to 124% this most probably fix the problem. Seems to work.
Tell me if it does also for you.
Cheers

@Siddharth_R_Shettigar 
It was actually Steam itself. When I exited Steam the blur went away. Thank you!

My display scale is at 100% but I've never got this bug again, so probably they fixed it? Thanks anyway!
Just got this bug as well, had to restart the PC with ctrl+alt+delete cause the blur was covering taskbar (I have it set to auto-hide so blur went all the way down) and somehow it was on top of the task manager even though that is set to be on top of all other windows. Definitely related to Steam.

@Ludenz 

I just experienced this and I think it's related to the Windows 11 snap assist feature.

Whenever you drag an application to the top, bottom, or corners of a screen, a blurred overlay appears showing you the area it's being assigned to. I inadvertently experienced this when I locked my computer to walk away from it for a few minutes, blindly smashing the Win+L key (and likely other keys around it) until the screen locked. When I came back to my computer, the same blurred overlay appeared and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. Finally tried to move an application that was stuck behind it by alt+tabbing over to it and then pressing Win+right arrow to move it to a different screen. Once I did that, the blur disappeared.

Here's an example of the blur in action.Snap corners screen blur issue.png

I am actually having the same issue with Windows 11, while I was using Chrome, a small window appears at the top left screen. When I pressed the windows + D, to minimize all the windows, the blurred screen also disappeared and after a while, I got that screen on the right side of the screen as can be seen clearly in the screenshot below.

So I was asking what should be the possible fix for that bug OR they are going to fix that through the windows update?

Windows_11 Blurred window pop-up AutomaticallyWindows_11 Blurred window pop-up Automatically

Found a fix. Go to Display in settings and change your screen to any resolution then revert it. I did a fairly small resolution just to be safe

Avengersman_0-1655410655219.png

@AvengersmanCan't really do that when the entire screen from top to bottom is blurred and you can't make out anything on the screen. . .

Ah yeah that's true. It will work if you can see a portion of the screen as what happened to me earlier. We'll just have to hope that Microsoft catches wind of this issue soon

Still having this issue.. Almost a year after release and still not fixed. A display resolution change is the only way I've been able to resolve it without logging out/rebooting.

lmao a new major Windows 11 update and this bug is STILL happening. How is Microsoft continuing to ignore this well over a year after Windows 11 released?
I had a problem with blurry windows. This fixed it.
Thank you Matty

@Ludenz This is due to the window layout options (e.g. snapping windows to half of the screen). To get rid of it, simply drag any window to the top of the screen.

theta69_0-1678023525529.png

A year and a half later and the current insider build STILL has me experience this bug at least once a day. I have found no permanent fix.
Yes, exactly this is still a bug that is happening randomly.
The only solution is to restart the PC.

I'm getting this as well, it's becoming more frequent. Can't figure out the cause.

I managed to grab a screenshot and identify the overlay with Window Detective.

I don't know if this information would help identify the cause.

fullscreenblur.png

Ok that probably wasn't too helpful so this time I kept Window Detective open to find that the overlay belongs to Program Manager (Progman)

blysmth_0-1692199500916.png