SOLVED

Win 11 four DLL errors on startup. Please help?

Brass Contributor

First off, Iike the new Windows 11!  But I have developed four errors on startup I could use some help in clearing.

Equipment:  Surface Pro 7, Intel Core i7-1065G7, 16GB RAM, 64bit, 512GB NTFS SSD

Here are the four dll errors:

Bad Image, error 0xc0000020. Not designed to run on Windows or file contains error

Files\WindowsApps\MicrosoftTeams_21253.510.996.1465_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

**all four have same path **

WebView2Loader.dll

Sqlite3.dll

2lib1.dll

VCRUNTIME140_1.dll

I do admit to having some old software like Adobe CS5 and Adobe Pro 9 as I can’t afford newer versions, however, I will dump what I have to that will get Win 11 stable.  My hardware is new and fast and I am willing to dump any legacy software, but no where does it tell me what software to get rid of.

What I have done:

Admin CMD Prompt: SFC /scannow – returned 100% no errors

Deleted all old Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable and went to MS site and download most recent.

Updated all ADOBE CS5 (what I could update as it is no longer supported)

UPDATED MS 365 suite (subscription)

Can anyone help please???  I want it all to work.  Thanks in advance!

15 Replies

@CowboyFive7  Hi

It seems that probably only a clean installation of Windows will solve your problem,

But remember that applications, personal files, and the drive will be formatted.

Maybe someone will suggest another solution.

Good luck

https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/software-download/windows11

@A1  Thats MS's go to solution.  Not buying it.  I am going to uninstall all my adobe legacy stuff (CS5, Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro) and see what happens.  Thanks for input though.

This is unlikely to fix the problem.
But rather it will be needed - unfortunately, a clean installation of Windows
Good luck

best response confirmed by CowboyFive7 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Was such a simple fix. Simply turned off Microsoft Teams in startup menu. Errors gone! I did however dump all my legacy stuff. Was needed to be done anyway. I have been running every other software I have installed for the past couple of hours and all run perfectly. Seems MS wont exactly say what these DLLs are for, and I wish they were related to one or two seftware installations, but alas, no help. MS techs like to say "reinstall clean" but when you are dealing with a corporate wide deployment on newer hardware systems, and need to keep downtime to a minimum, it is not preactical. A BOT can tell me "reinstall clean." Anyway, I am not a programmer so I do not know what these dlls affect or what they do, but it is apparemntly nothing I use. I may do some research into them later. Just completed a small update and it went fine. If a programmer can tell me what these dlls are for, it would be helpful. But anyway thanks to all, I needed to clean house anyway. Some of those softwares were so old they stunk! Used to use adobe a lot, now just use for pictures and video. Thanks to all!!
If everything has been fixed in such a simple way, then mark the answer you wrote - as the best answer, it will be a tip for others.
at the same time you confirmed that old programs need to be removed.
Good luck
Hopefully MS will address this apparent incompatability between their softwares.

@CowboyFive7

I wouldn't reinstall Windows as some have suggested (easier to reinstall and reset the apps themselves.) You will run into this problem more than once in your lifetime I'm sure...

1.) Start Powershell -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

2.) Copy/Paste the following into Powershell:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00 | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Win32WebViewHost | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};
Get-AppxPackage -allusers MicrosoftTeams | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00 | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Win32WebViewHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers MicrosoftTeams | Reset-AppxPackage;

3.) Next run this...

./sc config EventLog start= auto;./sc config UsoSvc start= auto;./sc config wuauserv start= auto;./net start EventLog;./net start UsoSvc;./net start wuauserv;
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth;

4.) Run Windows Update, and then finalize the updates / remove superseded components:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

NOTE: Most of the new updates fix bugs related to the apps themselves...

Wow.....before I go into this new update and do all this, have you done this before? Concerned about running into issues and blowing it all up.

@CowboyFive7

Alternatively you can access the UI to reset Microsoft Teams (repair will save your data if you actually use Microsoft Teams. There is no PowerShell cmdlet to repair apps.)

Reset / Repair Apps:

Settings -> System -> Other troubleshooters -> Windows Store Apps (Run)

Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Scroll To Bottom (Reset Default Apps)

Settings -> Apps -> Apps & Features -> <Insert App Name Here> -> 3 Verticle Dots On The Right Side Of The Pane -> Advanced Options -> Repair

NOTE: I have tested this already. If you don't use Microsoft Teams, then no data will be lost when you reinstall and reset it (the other system apps will right themselves and are NOT configurable on your side. You need Windows Update to be working though, the LATEST patches, and your Windows Store App has to be functional, as well as the associated services that install the apps themselves.) The other stuff is just typical scan and repair functionality built into Windows (one version of that cleanup process is already automated via the background tasks. Cleanmgr also has similar functionality built-in. This just gives you an instant result, no waiting whatsoever, aside from the need to update.)

Thank you TONS! Will try it out and let ya know!

This dialog is showing up because Microsoft Teams is missing files, the chat feature in Windows 11 uses Microsoft Teams to properly function, to fix this, simply follow these steps
1. Press Windows+ R.
2. Copy-paste the path – C:/Program Files/WindowsApps
3. Press enter to access the location.
4. If a pop-up appears saying You have been denied permission to access this folder click Security tab. Note – If the popup does not appear, follow from Step 10.
5. On the next window, click on Advanced.
6. Select – Continue.
7. On the Advanced Security Settings for Windowsapp, click on Change link for Owner.
8. Type the email id of your Microsoft account and click OK.
9. Now click Apply followed by OK and give some time to change the permissions for all files.
10. Once you have successfully entered the directory, find the files starting with msteams.
11. There should be 1 such item –
microsoftteams_21253.510.996.1465_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
12. Rename the folder by adding the prefix .old.
13. Restart your computer, and check if the error still occurs.

My comments: Best solution (for me) so far. Quick, easy, stabilizes OS, and no errors on startup. However, MS Teams is now disabled (the easy way). Whether MS Teams is "on" or "off" in startup doesn't matter, no errors. However MS Teams will not run. So if you do not use it, this is the best solution. If you need MS Teams, then the more complicated solution listed above by Mousefluff may be a better solution for you. I did not try that due to my liminted programming/coding skills. I wioll leave this uop for a few more days, then publish the entire string on one post so users can copy and print it out if they wish. Thanks to all for your time!
Ok: after all the input, here are the best, permanent, solutions which do not affect OS stability. However, they do not "solve" the problem and MS Teams is NOT available if you use that service. I think the only "real" solution will be an update targeted at MS TEAMS. Thanks to all who assisted. Copy and past into your word processor for you files.
***********************************************************************************
First off, I love the new Windows 11! But I have developed four errors on startup I could use some help in clearing.
Equipment: Surface Pro 7, Intel Core i7-1065G7, 16GB RAM, 64bit, 512GB NTFS SSD
Here are the four dll errors:
Bad Image, error 0xc0000020. Not designed to run on Windows or file contains error
Files\WindowsApps\MicrosoftTeams_21253.510.996.1465_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe\
**all four have same path **
WebView2Loader.dll
Sqlite3.dll
zlib1.dll
VCRUNTIME140_1.dll

I do admit to having old software like Adobe CS5 and Adobe Pro 9 as I can’t afford newer versions, however, I will dump what I have to that will get Win 11 stable. My hardware is new and fast and I am willing to dump any legacy software, but nowhere does it tell me what to get rid of.
What I have done:
Admin CMD Prompt: SFC /scannow – returned 100% no errors
Deleted all old Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable and went to MS site and downloaded the most recent version.
Updated all ADOBE CS5 (as best I could as it is no longer supported)
UPDATED MS 365 suite (subscription)
Can anyone help please??? I want it all to work. Thanks in advance!

Solution 1: Remove Microsoft Teams from startup menu.
Solution2: Hi CowboyFive7,
Mousefluff (New Contributor) edited a reply in Windows 11 on Nov 03 2021 05:27 PM:
Re: Win 11 four DLL errors on startup. Please help?
@CowboyFive7
I wouldn't reinstall Windows as some have suggested (easier to reinstall and reset the apps themselves.) You will run into this problem more than once in your lifetime I'm sure...

1.) Start Powershell -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

2.) Copy/Paste the following into Powershell:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00 | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Win32WebViewHost | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};

Get-AppxPackage -allusers MicrosoftTeams | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00 | Reset-AppxPackage;

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop | Reset-AppxPackage;

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Win32WebViewHost | Reset-AppxPackage;

Get-AppxPackage -allusers MicrosoftTeams | Reset-AppxPackage;

3.) Next run this...

./sc config EventLog start= auto;./sc config UsoSvc start= auto;./sc config wuauserv start= auto;./net start EventLog;./net start UsoSvc;./net start wuauserv;

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth;

4.) Run Windows Update, and then finalize the updates / remove superseded components:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
NOTE: Most of the new updates fix bugs related to the apps themselves...

Solution 2:
Hi CowboyFive7,
Mousefluff (Occasional Contributor) mentioned you in a post! Join the conversation below:
@CowboyFive7
Alternatively you can access the UI to reset Microsoft Teams (repair will save your data if you actually use Microsoft Teams. There is no PowerShell cmdlet to repair apps.)

Reset / Repair Apps:
Settings -> System -> Other troubleshooters -> Windows Store Apps (Run)
Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Scroll To Bottom (Reset Default Apps)
Settings -> Apps -> Apps & Features -> <Insert App Name Here> -> 3 Verticle Dots On The Right
Side Of The Pane -> Advanced Options -> Repair

NOTE: I have tested this already. If you don't use Microsoft Teams, then no data will be lost when you reinstall and reset it (the other system apps will right themselves and are NOT configurable on your side. You need Windows Update to be working though, the LATEST patches, and your Windows Store App has to be functional, as well as the associated services that install the apps themselves.) The other stuff is just typical scan and repair functionality built into Windows (one version of that cleanup process is already automated via the background tasks. Cleanmgr also has similar functionality built-in. This just gives you an instant result, no waiting whatsoever, aside from the need to update.)

Solution 3:
Hi CowboyFive7,
BrennanWest85 (Occasional Visitor) edited a reply in Windows 11 on Nov 06 2021 07:21 PM:
Re: Win 11 four DLL errors on startup. Please help?
This dialog is showing up because Microsoft Teams is missing files, the chat feature in Windows 11 uses Microsoft Teams to properly function, to fix this, simply follow these steps
1. Press Windows+ R.
2. Copy-paste the path – C:/Program Files/WindowsApps
3. Press enter to access the location.
4. If a pop-up appears saying You have been denied permission to access this folder click Security tab. Note – If the popup does not appear, follow from Step 10.
5. On the next window, click on Advanced.
6. Select – Continue.
7. On the Advanced Security Settings for Windowsapp, click on Change link for Owner.
8. Type the email id of your Microsoft account and click OK.
9. Now click Apply followed by OK and give some time to change the permissions for all files.
10. Once you have successfully entered the directory, find the files starting with msteams.
11. There should be 1 such item –
microsoftteams_21253.510.996.1465_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
12. Rename the folder by adding the prefix .old.
13. Restart your computer, and check if the error still occurs.
END

@A1 I did a fresh Windows 11 install to a new computer with an empty mass storage, but the Teams issue started immediately, and none of the updates helped. No matter how many times I uninstalled or reinstalled the app, end result was the same. As I see it, reinstallation of Windows guarantees nothing, but better programming and testing of various use cases would.

Incredible, that the users need to Google solutions the moment Windows 11 starts?

I bought a new pc today, clean install, win 11 and this error popped up the very first time I started the machine. Fully updated it thinking that was the issue but it wasn't. Shame they have people out here doing complete reinstalls when that clearly isnt the problem. @Jani_K_Mannisto 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CowboyFive7 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Was such a simple fix. Simply turned off Microsoft Teams in startup menu. Errors gone! I did however dump all my legacy stuff. Was needed to be done anyway. I have been running every other software I have installed for the past couple of hours and all run perfectly. Seems MS wont exactly say what these DLLs are for, and I wish they were related to one or two seftware installations, but alas, no help. MS techs like to say "reinstall clean" but when you are dealing with a corporate wide deployment on newer hardware systems, and need to keep downtime to a minimum, it is not preactical. A BOT can tell me "reinstall clean." Anyway, I am not a programmer so I do not know what these dlls affect or what they do, but it is apparemntly nothing I use. I may do some research into them later. Just completed a small update and it went fine. If a programmer can tell me what these dlls are for, it would be helpful. But anyway thanks to all, I needed to clean house anyway. Some of those softwares were so old they stunk! Used to use adobe a lot, now just use for pictures and video. Thanks to all!!

View solution in original post