SOLVED

Todays update for Windows 11 has broken ICS KB5014697

Brass Contributor

Ok it was broken before but is really broken now with KB5014697

Now ICS has been getting worst from OS to OS and some of you will say should I not make this clear first that it still works well if you have 20,000 ports mapped! not any more!

The first problem before KB5014697 was that if you reboot with ICS enabled it does not work until I disable it and enable it again I have bin doing that for the best part of a year!

Now with KB5014697 its so broken that the PC can't connect to the internet when I do the above.

Really hope Microsoft sees this and fixes it

22 Replies
For me the same, ICS stopped working, after reenabling there is no Internet connection on host until ICS is disabled.
I had to rollback KB5014697.
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.708]

How many port mapping for ICS do you have?

It takes I long time to load them but I have less than 30,000

Screenshot 2022-06-15 132353.png

Same thing happened to me, I had to uninstall the update and it started working again.
Can confirm this is an issue on Windows 10 as well (KB5014699).

Have found the problem file! update

Its:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers
ipnat.sys 10.0.22000.739
you can copy over with 10.0.22000.653 and ICS works again

Same issue here. ICS completely broken with the KB5014697 update. Had to use the the hide update tool to hide it. Also I was getting constant BSODs from the tcpip.sys. All good after uninstalling and hiding the update. Thanks Microsoft!

You can download the tool from here:

https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/339060d1624897901-hide-show-windows-updates-windows-...

@Legacy1 You can fix your original problem after rebooting by changing a few settings. Worked for me. From here.

www.thewindowsclub.com/internet-connection-sharing-not-working

Thanks for the tip. Worked great without reverting the whole update.

@Mark_H1980 wrote:

@Legacy1 You can fix your original problem after rebooting by changing a few settings. Worked for me. From here.

www.thewindowsclub.com/internet-connection-sharing-not-working

No this does not fix the issue Mark_H1980

Legacy1,

Is this safe to do? Where do you get 10.0.22000.653?

@TechCom365 wrote:
Legacy1,

Is this safe to do? Where do you get 10.0.22000.653?

You have to get the ipnat.sys 10.0.22000.653 before you update then after KB5014697 you have to change owner for ipnat.sys to everyone and permission for everyone to full control to overwrite the file.

Is it safe to do so likely not for me ICS is a VirtualBox .vhd so I can go back to before the KB5014697 but if this is your PC you can uninstall KB5014697 go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Back up and Restore (Windows 7) which works for win 11 and backup your system.

Legacy1,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait for a fix for this from Microsoft. I am not tech savvy.

My problem is that when Windows Mobile Hotspot is running no other app (Outlook, Firefox, etc.) can access the internet. I believe this is essentially the result of the same issue you discuss.

I reported this to Microsoft and referred them to https://www.ghacks.net/2022/06/14/microsoft-windows-security-updates-june-2022/, where it is also noted.

Thanks.

@TechCom365 Just go to C:\Windows and search for ipnat.sys. There are multiple versions of the files there. Copy them all out to another location, then check the properties of the files to see the version number of them. After you find the old file, you need to modify the advance security properties of the file under C:\Windows\System32\drivers to full control, before you can overwrite it. You also need to turn off ICS first.

This one file under C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-ipnat_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.22000.653_none_565fe30f009eed8b, with file modified day 5/10/2022 is what you neeed.

I used to have to disable/enable ICS every time I reboot, but no longer need to do so after two changes according to the website I posted:
1. Added registry item: EnableRebootPersistConnection
2. Changed ICS service to automatic.
Both were done on the ICS hosting maching (Windows 11)
Just FYI. Not sure why it didn't wor for you.

@Mark_H1980 wrote:
I used to have to disable/enable ICS every time I reboot, but no longer need to do so after two changes according to the website I posted:
Both were done on the ICS hosting maching (Windows 11)
Just FYI. Not sure why it didn't wor for you.

Because for me I have less then 30,000 port mappings in ICS and on boot up with ICS it does not load this and only does when you disable/enable ICS when in windows which takes about 5mins. 

@Mark_H1980 wrote:

Ok this solves one problem (not the main problem with KB5014697) had to change service to automatic (delayed start)

@TomaszD I registered to this community to thank you for this post. This issue was driving me mad

best response confirmed by Legacy1 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
KB5014668 has fix ICS
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Legacy1 (Brass Contributor)