The i7-7700K meet the minimun requierments to run Win11. But its not suported, Why?

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Iron Contributor

Hi, I have an i7-7700K. This CPU have TPM 2.0, It's compatible with Secure Boot, it have 4 core up to 4.2 GHz. It also is 64bit. 

I don't know why this CPU is not supported by Microsoft to install Windows 11.

Update, 10/18/2021: Yesterday I bought a MacBook Air, I know that  the MacBook isn't the best computer and that you are limited within the horizon of Apple. But I don't trust Microsoft and the new Windows 11. What if I bough another computer of 2.000 US dollars and in some years Microsoft decided that I need a new computer? At least, with the new M1 chip of Apple I know that they will support the hardware and the will send me Updates and give Support.

318 Replies
Indeed. That's not normal. Especially during Covid and supply problem around the world...
Add that argument as well. It’s time for Microsoft to open communications on this topic. How many customers is Microsoft impacting with this bad decision
It might not be a bad decision a major OS upgrade is inconvenient to say the least.
So does that mean that 100% - 99.8% = 0.2% of supported devices did not have a crash free experience. Therefore 0.2% * 152% = 0.3% of unsupported devices did not have a crash free experience?

99.8% crash free vs 99.7% crash free doesn’t sound like a good reason to not support 7th gen Intel i7, if I’m interpreting these stats correctly.

@ariveron no, each processor is unique. In order to program a processor you need the instruction sets and other specs from the manufacturer that keeps in mind the registers, cache, instructions, pipelining and so on and so forth for each and every processor. This has not been done for the i7 7700k. Subsequently extensive testing and support is needed. When people use the i7 7700k now they are making the operating system think it is another processor and thus are not getting a best use of resources also certain machine language codes could cause a crash and instability.

You will not get a best use of cpu resources and it is not advisable nor advantageous, plus many features and functions will not be possible at all.

https://youtu.be/piJhu7sI3Iw Watch this video,  this will give you an idea of what needs to be done.

@Jeronimo2440

This was already solved by Microsoft (I used this on all my computers, it works perfectly.)

1.) Download Windows 11 ISO Image to "C:\Win11_English_x64v1.iso"

2.) Start Powershell -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

3.) Run the following commands in sequential order (copy/paste the text block)...

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force
Remove-Item -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup" -Force -Recurse;
New-Item -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup";
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup" -Name "AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU" -PropertyType DWord -Value "00000001";
Mount-DiskImage -ImagePath "C:\Win11_English_x64v1.iso";

4.) Open Windows Explorer and select the drive labeled "CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9"
5.) Run setup.exe (in-place upgrade)

There’s also another option to run Windows 11 dev environment in hyper v…

@SixpieceIf there are real issues, which are less common, then update your drivers, run this script, etc.

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force
./sc config EventLog start=auto;./sc config UsoSvc start=auto;./sc config wuauserv start=auto;./net start EventLog;./net start UsoSvc;./net start wuauserv;
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth;
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase;
./SFC /SCANNOW;
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"};
Get-AppxPackage | Reset-AppxPackage;

@Alberello 

thank you all for sharing… and perhaps while you are at it you may want to dual boot your computer as a Macintosh with the latest OS from Apple Big Sur: follow these instructions in order to do so:

https://www.hackintoshshop.com/2810/hackintosh-big-sur-guide/

@Alberello

That Verge article is actually just quoting this Microsoft article (if you were wondering where it came from. My script is based on this too.)

"Ways to install Windows 11" -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77...

Yes I know, thanks, but for unexperienced users the standard registry editor can be easy to use...

@Mousefluff I am not lucky, I am still unable to install after creating the registry key :loudly_crying_face::

Alberello_0-1635806883110.png

@Alberello 

prepstarr_0-1635807980634.png

you can create a windows 11 environment instance in hyper v and then do not have to go through the trouble of a major upgrade...

@prepstarr 

prepstarr_1-1635823764551.png

just a snapshot of windows 11 running under hyper v , blow your brains out with windows 11 without taking the hit...

Just more big tech messing with the small guy. A lot of us don't have the deep pockets $$$ microsoft does, therefore we can't simply upgrade to suit their agenda. Really tired of MS and all of their unnecessary requirements. I'm not a huge fan of Apple either, so what's a person to do???!!!
  • Microsoft is supposed to use the money to pay the developers. Otherwise it is the developers who suffer…
  • only take the services that you need for example if you only need hyper v then only use hyper v. Maybe someone wants to play guitar and piano but if you only have money for one pick one and focus on it.
  • raise your prices instead of trying to cut corners and sell yourself short charge an ample price to reflect your true costs. If that doesn’t work continue to develop yourself personally to the point that you are able to make something that someone needs no matter what the cost is then charge accordingly. I mean all these computer costs that you tend to spend a great deal of your life behind are very small compared with car appointments a few days in a hotel, etc.. or even using 3rd party services…

@Sixpiece 

"Otherwise it is the developers who suffer."

Enabling HypervisorPlatform, does not give you VM functionality, it is just an API. Hyper-V is not even remotely the same as HypervisorPlatform. Having the APIs and a fully functional program are entirely different things. Like I said, compare, and then make up your mind about which one you want. You have to work quite a bit to get the same thing (more complexity.) So of course you HAVE to research the costs of using open source software, over another alternative (it may or may not matter.) I use lots of free software, but I also use premium software as well (it depends on what it is.) If you've ever used any of these VMs, you would know right away that they just can't scale like you think they can (the free versions have hard-coded limitations.) Free ESXI has physical limitations, regardless of what you want to do with it (Google Search is your friend in this instance, but I guess that's outlawed in Europe for privacy reasons. Ok so whatever search engine you want to use, would probably be able to find a feature matrix comparison chart, etc, a lot of information to cross-reference with, to help you make an informed decision, etc.) If you improve your soft skills this will all make perfect sense to you.

The drawbacks of using free software are immediately noticeable, even if it's functionally comparable. It's laughable to compare that with the post-paid versions given how terrible the extensions are. Like I said though, that's the only drawback, which the extensions provide driver support. I mainly use that for Linux / Unix on Windows ironically. If I HAVE to use that with Windows, I disable most of the extensions because I don't want to have to generalize the image with sysprep, or go in and remove strange drivers from the driver store (it's still perfectly usable for any operating system.) If VM has amazingly good low-level hardware access in a Bare-Metal VM, most likely it's NOT going to be Hyper-V or the free version of VirtualBox. It's necessary to make effort to do cross-comparisons and research the costs (to see if the time investment is worth it.) I mean MOST VMs you get like Hyper-V and whatnot, are mainly used to provision images. They don't have to be really high performance, and they serve mostly to fill a gap, a functional need (ie. Provisioning 32-bit images with the ADK / AIK on a 64-bit host machine.) I'm sure Hyper-V might be useful for running a 64-core server with a ridiculous amount of containers  / virtualized Windows-only images, yet you would only be able to achieve that in a reasonable way on an entirely different SKU anyways (not Windows 10 pro obviously.)

@Jeronimo2440 

Hello everyone!

Please read the MTC code - Not relevant posts can be reported to the Moderator!

Code of Conduct - Microsoft Tech Community

@Jeronimo2440 

I don't understand the rationale of buying a new computer now regardless of whether it's a mac or not. Windows 11 just launched and Windows 10 isn't losing support for another 4 years. And isn't Microsoft trying to expand compatibility as they roll out?