The Best URL Shortener that Support Customizable Links?

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a project that requires shortening dozens of URLs, and I need a URL shortening service that allows for customization of the links. It's essential for me to have control over the custom aliases for branding and organizational purposes.

I've come across a few options, but I'm not sure if they are the best choices in terms of features, reliability, and ease of use. I'm looking for recommendations on the best URL shortener that supports custom aliases.

I'd really appreciate your input and experiences to help me make the right decision. 

Best regards,
Natrauss

16 Replies

Most of url shorten services are free but you have to pay if you need the custom link or domain.

Bitly is one of the best URL shortener available. It offers robust features, including the ability to customize short links, track analytics, and integrate with various other services and applications. Bitly's user-friendly interface makes it easy to create and manage shortened URLs, and its extensive analytics provide detailed insights into link performance, such as click-through rates, geographic data, and referral sources.

One of the standout features of Bitly is its custom branded short domains. This allows users to create personalized, branded short links that can enhance brand recognition and trust. Bitly also offers a free plan with basic features and several paid plans that cater to the needs of businesses and enterprises, providing advanced analytics, user management, and integration capabilities.

No, Bitly is not a good choice in 2024. Bitly free plan has limitations, such as a cap on the number of custom links you can create, which can be restrictive for users needing to manage a large volume of links. For more extensive features like advanced analytics and branded links, users need to subscribe to one of Bitly paid plans, which might not fit everyone's budget.In addition, Bitly interface and features too complex for beginners.  

@Natrauss 

I recommend you build a URL Shortener service yourself. It's not as complicated as you think, and there are some open source projects that can help you do it quickly.

I recommend YOURLS (Your Own URL Shortener), which is a very popular open source URL shortener. It allows you to have full control over the short link, including custom aliases, statistics, etc., which is perfect for brand and organizational needs. You can control everything yourself, and it is relatively simple to set up and use.

If you're looking for a best URL shortener that supports custom aliases, I highly recommend Rebrandly. Its combination of features, scalability, and ease of use make it an excellent choice for projects that require branded and organized link management.

Goo.gl is the best free URL shortener that supports customizable links. Its ease of use, customization options, and scalability make it an excellent choice for your project. Give it a try and see how it works for you!

I don't think Goo.gl is a best URL Shortener that Support Customizable Links. While Goo.gl allows you to customize your shortened URLs, the options are limited. You can only use a specific set of characters and cannot use special characters, spaces, or most punctuation marks.

Bitly is still an excellent choice for URL shortening, especially for casual users or those with simple needs. However, if you're looking for more advanced features or customization options, you might want to explore other alternatives like Rebrandly or Goo.gl (before its demise).
Goo.gl was the best URL shortener in the past but it is no longer available! Google announced in March 2018 that it would be discontinuing the Goo.gl URL shortening service. The decision was made to shift focus towards Firebase Dynamic Links (FDL), which offers more advanced and dynamic URL shortening and linking capabilities, particularly for mobile apps.

Users can no longer create new short links using Goo.gl. All existing Goo.gl links will continue to function and redirect as expected, but users will need to use alternative services or tools for new URL shortening needs.

@Natrauss T2M, short for "Target to Market," is a comprehensive URL shortener that offers customizable links along with a suite of powerful features. It provides unlimited URL shortening and redirection, which is a significant advantage for users who need to manage a large volume of links. T2M also offers detailed analytics and reporting, helping users track the performance of their shortened URLs.

One of T2M's unique features is its lifetime validity for short URLs, ensuring that links do not expire or get deleted over time. This makes it an excellent choice for long-term projects or campaigns. Additionally, T2M supports custom short domains. This allows users to maintain their branding efforts. The service offers a free trial, along with several paid plans for different needs and budgets.

@Natrauss 

If you're looking for a URL Shortener service with customizable aliases, I have some suggestions to consider. Based on my past experience, here are two services that stand out:

Bitly: Bitly is a very popular URL shortening service that supports highly customizable aliases. Not only does it provide basic URL shortening functionality, but it also allows you to track the click-through rate of each link, which is very useful for branding and analytics. It's also very intuitive and friendly for new users.

Rebrandly: Rebrandly is another service that focuses on branded link management and offers a wide range of customization options, including the use of your own domain name as a short link. It has a clean and advanced interface, which makes it especially suitable for users who need to manage their brand.

Both tools are very stable and reliable and I had a great experience using them. You can try one of these two services depending on your specific needs!

@Natrauss Switchy.io is an advanced link management platform that goes beyond basic URL shortening. It is designed to help users, particularly marketers and businesses, enhance their digital marketing efforts by offering a range of tools to optimize, track, and manage their links. Switchy.io enables users to create custom branded short links, making them more recognizable and trustworthy, which can significantly improve click-through rates.

In addition to shortening URLs, this free url shortener provides robust analytics features, allowing users to monitor the performance of their links in real-time. This includes detailed metrics on clicks, user behavior, and geographic data, which can be crucial for refining marketing strategies.

Dub.co is a user-friendly URL shortening service designed to simplify the process of creating, sharing, and managing short links. This service is ideal for individuals and businesses looking to make their long URLs more manageable and aesthetically pleasing, especially for use in social media posts, emails, and other digital communications. Dub.co not only shortens URLs but also provides additional features like link tracking and analytics to help users monitor the performance of their links.

To use Dub.co for shortening URLs,  you can follow these simple steps:

1. Go to the Dub.co homepage using your web browser.
  2. On the main page, you will find a text box where you can paste the long URL you want to shorten.
  3. If you have an account, you can customize the shortened URL to include a specific keyword or phrase, making it more recognizable and easier to remember.
  4. Click the "Shorten" button. Dub.co will generate a shortened URL for you.
  5.  Once the shortened URL is created, you can copy it and use it in your social media posts, emails, or any other platforms where you need a concise link.

By following these steps, you can easily create short, trackable URLs with Dub.co, helping you streamline your online communications and track the effectiveness of your shared links.

@Natrauss 

You can try Bitly, which I personally think is a good url shortener . I was working on a project where I needed to manage and track links for different marketing campaigns, and I chose Bitly mainly because it was really convenient, especially when it came to creating custom aliases. You know, being able to give a link a memorable name can help people remember it at a glance when promoting it.

What I appreciate most about using Bitly is its click statistics feature. Every time I publish a new short link, I can see which links perform well and how many clicks they get through its statistics, which is very helpful for adjusting future strategies. And the interface is user-friendly, so I don't need to spend too much time to master it.

@Natrauss 

I used AWS to build my own URL link Shortener  service, which was quite interesting. Since the server is in the cloud, I used AWS's API to manage these short links. It seemed complicated at first, after all, I had to understand various services and settings, but once it was set up, the system ran very smoothly.

The advantage of using cloud services is its scalability. No matter how many links I need to handle, the system can handle it well. However, it does require some technical background, especially understanding of cloud platforms. If you are interested in this url shortener, I recommend giving it a try, it is quite rewarding.

@Natrauss 

I own a website built on WordPress and once I needed to create some short URL links to track a specific marketing campaign. I used a plugin called "Redirection" which was really handy. Not only did this plugin allow me to create custom short links, but it also helped me manage them, such as seeing the number of clicks on each link.