Taskbar is stuck on the left side of my screen

Copper Contributor

After switching from portrait to landscape mode on my second monitor, my taskbar seems to be stuck on the left side of the screen. My taskbar also no longer has any icons and all of the icons that are normally in the taskbar corner are overlapping with each other. I've already attempted restarting the windows explorer and rebooting my PC. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this now. (Photo provided)ok.png

10 Replies

@Micah_IT 

Did you get this issue fixed. I have the exact same issue. 

Please advise what you did to resolve?

bump!! got the same problem. This is the only thread I've found with the same issue. Been searching for ages and tried most suggestions for taskbars not working; to no avail. I use multiple screens with taskbars displayed on all of them. The only one that doesn't work is the main screen taskbar. I did not change the monitor orientation or anything. Since moving to Win 11, gotta say the task bar issues are the things that have annoyed me the most. It lags when trying to move icons around when you have taskbars on multiple displays, which is a known issue. Also the auto-hide function always glitches and doesn't work a majority of the time when I full screen programs. Might consider going back to Win7 or something else..

@rnefm I got the solution to this. 
yoy need to fix it in the registry. 
Do a google search for windows 10 on how to move taskbar to the left. 
And it will show you how to make it also regular. 
this occurred when some program crashed and reconfigured my task bar. It works now. 
had to change the setting to 30. 
hope that helps. 

thanks heaps! that fixed it! wish I had seen this sooner as I ended up just creating a new user account and migrating my data over. XD in case anyone else in the future has the same issue, the fix is as below:

1) open regedit: "Windows Key + R", type in "regedit", hit "OK"
2) navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3
3) double click on the "Settings" file
4) change the 13th pair of digits in the sequence to change the taskbar alignment:
"00" Left
"01" Top
"02" Right
"03" Bottom

@rnefm 

I found the solution here: https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-11/how-to-move-the-windows-11-taskbar-to-left-or-right-and-customiz...

Seems the same as you mentioned, the only difference this site advised to "...double-click the 5th column in the 2nd row." The first time I adjusted the digits as you suggested, I did not double-click on that spot, and the problem wasn't fixed. The second time I did as the above site suggested, and the problem resolved. 

My Taskbar moves to the top of my left monitor, I have checked the reg key and it shows "03" for the 13th pair.
Ocasionally a restart will position the tasbar correctly (bottom Middle), but hasn't been the case in my most recent attempts.
Is the left monitor set as your main display? I only had the issue on my main display. What happens if you only run one monitor at a time? Other than the solutions in this thread, I'm not sure what else would fix the issue, sorry. Worst case you can make a new user and it should work normally but that is a hassle as you would need to move all your data and potentially re-install some programs.
The middle is set as my main (however, all POST displays on the left)

@Micah_IT In widows 11

Change display orientation to landscape.

Anwar100_0-1681590967733.png

You can try the following steps to fix the issue with your taskbar:

1. Right-click on the taskbar and select "Taskbar settings".
  2. Under the "Taskbar alignment" section, select the option for "Bottom" to move the taskbar back to the bottom of the screen.
  3. If the icons are still overlapping, go to the "Taskbar" section and turn off the "Combine taskbar buttons" option.
  4. If the issue persists, try resetting the taskbar by opening the "Task Manager", finding the "Windows Explorer" process, right-clicking it, and selecting "Restart".
  5. If none of the above steps work, try updating your graphics card driver or performing a system restore to a previous point when the taskbar was functioning properly.