SOLVED

Taskbar hover over apps is not showing app title.

Deleted
Not applicable

When I hover over apps on the taskbar it no longer shows the name of the window on top. Is this normal? I've never seen this on anyone else's computer and it's bugging me.

unknown - Copy.png

8 Replies
The title of the apps should be displayed when you hover them. This is important, especially when you have apps with multiple windows open. If you haven't done any changes to Windows 11 PC, I would start by checking with installed third-party customization apps. In most cases, these customization apps change the overall look and behavior on Windows 11.

If you haven't installed any third-party customization apps, you could restart your PC and check if that solves your issue.

@PrajwalDesaiI suppose I did have startallback awhile ago. Could it have changed something? I don't have it anymore.

@Deleted I had the same issue! Solved it by installing StartAllBack and then disabling it.

@DeletedWhat do you mean by disabling it? I tried reinstalling it and turning every option off and uninstalling it, but it still hasn't been fixed.

Before uninstalling it go to Advanced options click on disable program for current user and logoff, then you can uninstall it, otherwise its config will still be there.
I've tried this, it still doesn't seem to work. Is there anything else I could try?
best response
Solution

@Deleted Well, I was able to replicate this exact issue by doing the following: 

fidaay_0-1669703818092.png

Try this exact configuration and then just click on Use enhanced classic taskbar to "turn off" your changes, then it will ask you to restart explorer and to your surprise after explorer is reset you'll see that your apps will no longer have titles

fidaay_1-1669704035593.png

So, to fix this what I did was again, enabling it by clicking on Use enhanced classic taskbar, it will appear the same message of restart explorer, click on restart now, and on the Combine taskbar buttons options list select Always, hide labels

fidaay_3-1669704408043.png

and app titles should be back again.

fidaay_2-1669704230114.png

Hooray! This worked! Thank you so much for your help.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@Deleted Well, I was able to replicate this exact issue by doing the following: 

fidaay_0-1669703818092.png

Try this exact configuration and then just click on Use enhanced classic taskbar to "turn off" your changes, then it will ask you to restart explorer and to your surprise after explorer is reset you'll see that your apps will no longer have titles

fidaay_1-1669704035593.png

So, to fix this what I did was again, enabling it by clicking on Use enhanced classic taskbar, it will appear the same message of restart explorer, click on restart now, and on the Combine taskbar buttons options list select Always, hide labels

fidaay_3-1669704408043.png

and app titles should be back again.

fidaay_2-1669704230114.png

View solution in original post