surface book 3 windows 11 | Camera not working

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

Do you have any idea why the camera is not working after upgrade win  ?

I'm not able to find the driver for 

Intel Camera Sensor OV5693 for Windows 10 64-bit

Thank you.

13 Replies
Hello,

Please run Camera troubleshooter from Settings app > System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters. Let us know what it reports back.

Regards.

@Kapil Arya Hi, and thank you for  your feedback.

I have also spoke with MS team, but it seems no solution :( ... Im trying to put win10 and see.

AmmaniSan_1-1646482428373.png

Here is the error also.

AmmaniSan_0-1646482344668.png

Device manager

AmmaniSan_2-1646482533747.png

Okay this seems a driver issue. Can you give it a try to official Surface Book 3 drivers from here, see if it helps:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=101315
Thanks.
We have tried also but not working.

I'm not sure if surface book 3 is certified with windows 11. :)

@Ammani-San do you know whether there is a solution to this problem? I've got the same issue. 

Dear @Ammani-San &  @ibutenko@Kapil Arya 

Any news on this specific issue?

We have two Surface Book 3 in our enviroment, but only one of them is having kinda the same issue. There is two indicators when it happens, the camera light button is turned on and Windows Service: Windows Camera Frame Server is utilizing 15-20% CPU power. I have an idea it's a bug in Windows Hello on a Windows Surface Book 3, updated drivers via. Microsoft link no luck, latest and greatest W11 22H2.

MizzeN__0-1678191495089.png

@MizzeN_ I still have the same issue with same symptoms as yours. No changes, no response from anyone. A few thoughts. 

1. I reinstalled Windows, and the issue was gone for a while, but then it returned, which tells that this is not a hardware issue. 

2. After a Windows reboot, the camera usually works for a while, but then it fails again, frequently, in the middle of a Skype call.

3. Disabling and reenabling the camera through Windows device manager doesn't help. 

4. So, likely the camera driver is failing, but it is not clear what is triggering it on the first place. At the same time, you are saying that you have several identical devices, but only one of them has this problem, to it may have something to do with the hardware (from what I know, Microsoft made several HW modifications to this model). 

I tried to find another version of the camera driver to see if installing it will solve the problem, but couldn't quickly find one. If nothing else, I plan to reinstall Windows, create a restore point and see what/when will trigger this issue. If that won't help, I'll switch to Mac.

Is there a fix for this that anyone has found. Currently seeing this on 5 Surface laptop 3's in our environment. Have tried just about everything we can think of. 

Also waiting on an update... 17-04 and still not working.
Removed all camera's from device manager and reinstalled them, still nothing...
Plugged in an external Logitec webcam to bypass this B*LLSH*T... very anoying.,..
Did you find a solution yet?

@ZePPerT No. (Replying from the Surface device with non-functional camera).

I had the same issue after the recent windows 10 update (April), same error code 0xA00F4244.
In DeviceManager, the camera driver was Intel(R) JDL AVStream Camera.

Tried all methods I could find on the internet. Updating with various version I could get hold of. Sometimes, there was exclamination mark next to it, sometimes there wasn't. 0xA00F4244 remained still.
At the end I went on to improvise my own, as I don't believe that all 3 cameras (front, back and IR) will go coocoo all of a sudden right after an update, it's got to be a software screw-up, not a hardware problem.

In Intel driver download website, it says, some drivers are meant to be installed in certain particular order, or else they won't work.
I noted that the camera is related to Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics, so I replaced that driver too. Then later I suspected, it might also have to do with System Devices Surface Camera Front, Back and IR, as such I also fiddled around with them.
I extracted files from the following msi
SurfaceBook3_Win10_18362_21.091.14030.0.msi, SurfaceBook3_Win10_19041_22.100.5729.0.msi, SurfacePro9_Win10_19044_22.101.15507.0.msi, tried out numerous combination of diver-updates.

Did it work? YES... and no...
Now the camera is detected, Camera App turns on without 0xA00F4244, but it doesn't function like a camera, instead the App fires up as a Video Recorder, but it won't do record anything, I can't change from front to back camera or what so ever, it just freezes.
At least, I can tell for sure, it isn't a hardware issue for sure.

I hope MS can come out with a fool-proof solution that help users solve the problem.
More so, I would plead MS to pleeeeease test their updates thoroughly before they roll it out.
Oh yes, apology for forgetting to tell:
I am still using Windows 10.
Current camera driver is Inter(R) ADL AVStream Camera,
Intel(R) JDL AVStream Camera gave 0xA00F4244.