Strange keyboard behavior: drops and duplicates keystrokes

Copper Contributor

(Original title as I typed it: "Strange kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeyboard behavior: dps and duplicates keystrokes")

Windows 11 Pro 21H2 build 22000.856

I am struggling with my keyboard behaving irregularly. I have observed the following:

• Occasionally (every few hundred keystrokes) drops keystrokes entirely.
  • Occasionally (same frequency) duplicates keystrokes 10-20 times.
  • Rarely (a few times in a workday) a key gets 'stuck' and repeats indefinitely, only remedy is unplugging and re-plugging the keyboard.
  • Error occurs on all different USB-A ports, including on a USB-c docking station. (It is not a faulty USB port.)
  • Error occurs on three different keyboards of different models, two of which are brand new and from different manufacturers. (It is not a mechanical/electrical problem with my keyboard, and not dirt.)
  • Rebooting is at best a temporary fix.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling all keyboard drivers have been tried, was a temporary fix. All keyboard drivers are newest version.
3 Replies
same thing happens to me when I type into the search area. I've been testing it just typed 1 letter and 2 appear. To use search I can only copy and paste, I must first type in Notepad. What is going on?
I have been having this issue as well, with a keyboard that was not having the same issues on a previous Win10 device. USB keyboard, Microsoft brand. I am on Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3007. The random key strokes thing is the worst - recently it was acting as if I had a stuck key such as shift or alt. Because every time I typed a keystroke unrelated activity would happen. The only thing I could use was my mouse to try and grab a screen recording. Eventually while recording the strange behavior in notepad, which did not result in any actual letters, numbers or characters being typed, all that was happening was random functions and windows maximizing and such, I apparently locked my machine through typing just the L key - and that seems to have broken the spell. Since I was able to type my password and the keyboard returned to normal.

As you posted above, this isn't just a dirty or old keyboard. Something strange is going on.

Exact same issue detected here on W10 Enterprise 22H2 devices. Anyone has found a solution yet? We are really in the blind here. We where suspecting a serial barcodereader, but it has been replaced with an USB one and we still encounter it. There is no pattern to find whatsoever of when it encounters.