Problem in sharing with Windows 11 and Windows7

Copper Contributor

Respected Sir,

I have problem in sharing of data from Windows 11 and Windows 7 with the help of lan cable and windows 7 shows the error to Windows11 that "There is no computer name found".

6 Replies

Hi @Garvit_Khandelwal,

Please make sure the network discovery option is enabled on both computers. It might be a configuration issue with the firewall’s permission, also check the below services are allowed for private and public network.

• File and Printing Service
  • File and Printing Service over SMBDirect

I can't reached these setting can you give me a screenshots of settings

Hi @Garvit_Khandelwal 

You can find the File and Printing Service configuration in the Windows firewall.

• Search and launch windows firewall from the Start menu's search box, and select the Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
  • From Windows Defender Firewall, identify File and Printing ServiceFile and Printing Service over SMBDirect, Allow for Private and Public network as exhibited in below screenshots.

Firewall_SMB_01.pngFirewall_SMB_02.png

Please also try to access another computer through IP addresses instead of hostname, e.g. \\192.168.1.10\

@Garvit_Khandelwal 

Please make sure that:

1. Both computers are configured with a unique name (hostname)
  2. They are having unique IP
  3. They are within the same Workgroup/domain.

I am having the same problem, spent MONTHS trying to sort it out. Best I've achieved is for the Win 7 PCs able to access my Win 11 pc but not the other way round. I have download and implemented ALL the advice given by you above and many other people, and still it does work.  So what am I doing wrong? I have documented in DETAIL every step I've taken, document available for view if I can find out how.