pressing F5 in windows explorer doesn't refresh the contents.

Copper Contributor

In my situation, I am in Git Bash and doing a tail and redirecting that to another file. The source file is 16Gb. Using the windows explorer I am viewing the contents of the folder in which the file is being created. If I do an "F5" to refresh, the file size doesn't not update. BUT if I select the file, then press ALT+ENTER to get into the file properties, I see that the file size has increased. Once I get out of that dialog pressing "F5" DOES UPDATE the file size in explorer. This seems to be a bug. but not sure if this has something to do with git bash and windows interoperability.

4 Replies
Please let us know which build you're on currently? Also, if this an Insider Preview build, I suggest submitting this as a feedback using Feedback hub app.
This is not an insider Preview build. It is windows 11 Home. Version: 21H2 Build: 22000.376
Try resetting File Explorer (explorer.exe) process: 

1. Press Windows Key + R and type SYSDM.CPL in Run. Click OK or press Enter key. 

2. In System Properties window, switch to Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance. 

3. Next, in Performance Options, under Processor scheduling, make sure that Adjust for best performance of: is set to Programs. 

4. Then in the same window, under Virtual memory, click Settings button. 

5. On Virtual Memory page, make sure Automatically manage paging file sizes for all drives option is checked. Click OK, then Apply, OK on rest of windows. 

6. Reboot the machine and see if issue is resolved now. 

Let us know if this helps! 
I did as you asked and am having the same issue. I am adding additional context.
When I copy the file in windows via CMD.exe or windows file explorer (CTRL+C/CTRL+V) The file size shows the final size (16GB).
But if I copy the file via Git Bash or Ubuntu (WSL) using cp or cat, the windows file explorer shows the actual starting file size. Pressing F5 in file explorer does not update the file size as the cp or copy is running, but if I right mouse button on the file in question to popup a context menu and close the menu, then pressing F5 does update the file size.
If I create or delete a file in the folder file explorer is opened to, the create/delete action is reflected immediately.