Possible to install Windows 11 on unsupported CPU?

Copper Contributor

I have two laptops at home. One is built on Intel i5 6500 and the other is AMD Ryzen 7 1900X.

When I was trying to install Windows 11 from a bootable USB, it says "This PC can't run Windows 11". Then I was told to use the official PC Heather Check app to see what kind of system requirements are missing.

It turns on the CPU is too old and not supported by Windows 11. However, they are running perfectly with Windows 10. Is there any way to install Windows 11 on unsupported CPU so I can test out Windows 11?

10 Replies

According to the CPU requirements of Windows 11, both Intel and AMD processors are not supported. The CPU requirement is the most mandatory. This means you can't install Windows 11 on unsupported CPU processor with the official tool.

You can follow this post to install Windows 11on unsupported CPU (100% working):

https://www.keepvidz.com/install-windows-11-on-unsupported-cpu

Make sure check the bypass option when creating a bootable Windows 11 for install.

170501.png

@Illidari There are a couple of ways to help you bypass Windows 11 CPU requirements. One of the most popular solution is by modifying the Registry during Windows 11 installation from a bootable USB drive. Here is how to do that:

Once you have the bootable USB, insert it into the PC and boot from it. During the installation process, you'll likely encounter an error message stating that your CPU is unsupported. At this point, you can proceed with the registry hack to bypass this restriction.

Next, press Shift + F10 to open the Command Prompt during the Windows setup process. Type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor. In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup. Right-click on the Setup key and select New > Key. Name this new key LabConfig. With the LabConfig key selected, right-click in the right pane and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name it BypassCPUCheck and set its value to 1. 

Close the Registry Editor and Command Prompt to return to the Windows setup. Now, you can install Windows 11 on unsupported CPU and continue with the installation process without encountering the previous error messages.

Once the installation is complete, Windows 11 should be up and running on an unsupported CPU.

Are you want to install Windows 11 on unsupported CPU? I've been in your shoes before, and I know how frustrating it can be when you're stuck with a CPU that's not officially supported by the latest OS. You can try installing the Windows 11 preview build, which is available for public testing. This version is still a work-in-progress, but it might be more compatible with your hardware. You can download the preview from the Microsoft website.

Some users have reported success by using workarounds like disabling certain features, tweaking settings, or modifying registry entries. For example, you can try disabling Hyper-V or enabling Legacy Boot Mode. Keep in mind that these methods may not work for everyone and can potentially brick your system.

One alternative method involves using a modified Windows 11 ISO file that has the system requirements checks disabled. This method requires you to have access to a tool like NTlite or other ISO customization software. Here's how you can proceed to bypass Windows 11 CPU requirement:

1. Download the Windows 11 ISO: Obtain the official Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft’s website or another trusted source.

2. Modify the ISO: Use a tool like NTlite to remove the TPM, Secure Boot, and CPU checks from the ISO. Open the ISO in NTlite, navigate to the components section, and disable the requirements that are preventing installation on your hardware.

3. Create Bootable Media: After saving the modified ISO, use a tool like Rufus to create a bootable USB drive.

4. Install Windows 11: Boot from the USB drive and proceed with the installation. The modified ISO will skip the system checks, allowing you to install Windows 11 on your unsupported hardware.

This is a complex way to install Windows 11 on unsupported processor. So it is only recommended for advanced users who have time digging into the details.

@Illidari 

I personally tried to install Windows 11 on unsupported CPU by modifying the registry because I wanted to test the new features of Windows 11 on my old laptop. My laptop has an older Intel processor, which is not supported by Microsoft's official compatibility list.

Here's how it worked:

1. First, I made sure my Windows 10 system was up to date and then opened the Registry Editor (type regedit in the search bar and run it).
  2. I navigated to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup.
  3. Here, I created a new DWORD (32-bit) value, named it AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU, and set its value to 1.
  4. Once that was done, I restarted my computer and booted from the Windows 11 installation USB that I had made earlier.

After modifying the registry, the Windows 11 installer no longer complained about my CPU being incompatible, and I was able to continue the installation process. The whole process went more smoothly than I expected, and Windows 11 seemed to run pretty well after installation.

Of course, this method has its risks, including the possibility of unstable system operation and future updates may not install properly. Therefore, I recommend only using it in situations where you are sure you need to try or test it, and it is best not to operate it on your main computer. In short, although this method is effective, you still need to consider the risks carefully.

Microsoft explicitly states that modifying the registry to bypass the CPU check is not supported and may cause system instability or render the operating system unusable. By tampering with the registry, you're introducing an unsupported modification that can lead to system crashes, freezes, or other issues. Be prepared for possible errors or bugs.

@Illidari 

If you want to install Windows 11 on an unsupported CPU processor, you can use modified Windows 11 installation media provided by third parties online. This is indeed a feasible way to bypass Microsoft's CPU and TPM requirements, but the risks brought by this method cannot be ignored.

A friend of mine tried this method. He downloaded a modified Windows 11 installation ISO file from a forum, which had been pre-modified to skip the hardware check. His old laptop could not install Windows 11 normally because it did not meet the official minimum CPU requirements, but after using this modified installation media, he successfully installed the system.

@Illidari 

I had previously been in a situation where I needed to install Windows 11 on unsupported CPU of an old computer that didn't meet the official hardware requirements for this operating system. After learning that it was possible to bypass these restrictions by modifying the official ISO file, I decided to try this method myself.

Step 1. First, I downloaded the ISO file of Windows 11 from Microsoft's official website. After that, I used a tool called Rufus to create a bootable USB installation drive. Rufus is simple and intuitive to use and can be done in just a few steps.

Step 2. Before writing the ISO file to the USB, I opened the ISO file using an ISO editing tool and found a file called appraiserres.dll. This file is responsible for checking the hardware compatibility of the device during the installation process. I deleted this file, saved the changes, and continued to write the modified ISO to the USB using Rufus.

Step 3. After creating the bootable USB, I inserted it into the old computer, started it up, and booted from the USB, and the installation process went surprisingly smoothly. After removing the appraiserres.dll file, the installer did not perform a hardware compatibility check and went straight into the normal installation process.

The whole process was simpler than I expected, but I also realized that this method has certain risks. Deleting system files may cause some functional abnormalities or future system update problems.

@Illidari 

If your physical hardware CPU does not support it, you can consider installing Windows 11 in a virtual machine software such as VMware or VirtualBox. The virtual machine can be configured to meet all the hardware requirements of Windows 11, including CPU model, TPM version, etc. Through the virtual environment, you do not need to consider the limitations of physical hardware.

To install Windows 11 on unsupported CPUs, sometimes updating the CPU microcode can improve compatibility. This requires getting the latest BIOS update from the motherboard or CPU manufacturer, which may include CPU performance improvements and new microcode updates. This method has certain risks and you need to make sure it fully meets your hardware specifications.