OneDrive does NOT start when I sign in to Windows 11

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my PC to Windows 11. However, since then OneDrive doesn't start automatically when I sign in to Windows. I have already verified that:

1. The option "Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows" is enable on the General settings.
  2.  Onedrive is enable in the Startup of the Task Manager.

Despite the above, I still need to manually open OneDrive each time I restart my PC. Any idea on how to solve this issue? Thanks in advance!

6 Replies

Hello @Andres_Eduardo,

See if the registry fix mentioned here helps you (works with Windows 11 as well):

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-onedrive-not-starting-automatically-with-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Hello @Kapil Arya!

Thanks a lot for your help. I have tried the fix that you described, but unfortunately it didn't work. 

@Andres_Eduardo 

Hi! Did you get it sorted out eventually?

I'm in the same boat. I usually have to manually terminate the OneDrive task and reopen the app. To use the Windows Explorer hiccup free, I need to go to Fullscreen mode (F11) as that for some reason bypasses whatever OneDrive shenanigans is keeping it from working as intended.

My current OneDrive version is Build 22.116.0529.0003 64-bit as I'm enrolled in the Insider program.

The underlying issue seems to be the same related to this old post and looks like we've got no real fix since then.

@Andres_Eduardo I have the same issue.  If I click on the Settings gear in Win 11, I do not see the checkbox/option for starting OneDrive automatically.  Has it been removed, maybe?

I have the same issue. If I click on the Settings gear in Win 11, I do not see the checkbox/option for starting OneDrive automatically. Has it been removed, maybe? Also, applying the registry fix did not work either.

SOLVED!!!

Hello @Andres_Eduardo

So simply adding an OneDrive shortcut to startup folder ain't gonna start it, I tried making it work through task scheduler but also gave me errors so I decided to force it using cmd and by saving that cmd file and placing it in the startup folder it will actually work.

Open a text file and write the below code in it and make sure you seperate the path of folder and .exe file by putting the path in " " and starting the second part with /MIN

Screenshot 2024-01-24 124152.png

Then save the text file as .cmd and put it in your startup folder. Press 🪟 + R to open Run

Screenshot 2024-01-24 124210.png