Notepad Bug: Monospace is not monospaced

Copper Contributor

Using a monospace font (Lucida Console), the text is not monospaced:

DWobser_1-1678218657786.png

Everything should line up correctly, like this (Screenshot from PuTTY, same font, Lucida Console):

DWobser_2-1678218768931.png

This used to work correctly in Windows 7 Notepad.
I tried several different monospaced fonts (Courier New, Noto Mono, Consolas, etc.) and had similar results. 

2 Replies
Having the same issue with the new windows 11 notepad. Putting in certain characters using the mono-space fonts Consolas or Courier New yields still unaligned text. Would like to see this get fixed.
Regrettably, I have the same issue no matter what allegedly fixed-width font I choose in Notepad. The same documents using the same font appear properly aligned in Visual Studios, but the box building characters used by Notepad do not share the same width as the ASCII characters. It is important to note that UNICODE fonts are never fixed-width across all code pages. That said, having established a trend in all previous versions of Windows that the box elements present in the example provided by you (DWobster), and the documents of my own I have referenced, do share the same width as the ASCII characters, it would only be reasonable that such should be true on Windows 11. Such a recommendation can be made from Settings in Windows 11 by selecting "Give Feedback" at the bottom of the Settings window. The more people speak to the issue where the development team is listening, the more likely the change will be made. Cheers.