SOLVED

Missing start button and other icons from taskbar

Copper Contributor
Missing start button and other icons from taskbar. Tried restart and killing explorer from task manager but still its not working. Plz help.
7 Replies
Yup I'm having the same problem. Can't open much either other than cmd from taskmanger but I tried running some uninstall update command in powershell to no avail.
I just started experiencing the same. After I ran an update this afternoon and restarted my machine the screen returned with a grey taskbar with only a carrot (^) symbol showing toward the right margin. No other icons are present. When I move the cursor to the grey taskbar area, it changes to the spinning circle icon.
I have performed a CTRL-ALT-DEL to shut down and restart, same condition returns. I cannot WIN+X or any other WIN+ function. The desktop icons remain and the related apps I've tried seem to work however, when I try my "This PC" shortcut, File Explorer opened after a significant delay. Any guidane to getting the taskbar back to operating properly would be appreciated.
best response confirmed by Sandeep_PS (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Change the date to Sept.4th or later through the control panel. Tried and it works. Found on Weibo.
Thanks Aaron, it worked.
That worked Aaron! Thanks! However I couldn't get into the control panel, so I changed the date in the BIOS. Now I'll restart and see if I can reset to the correct date.
Worked like a charm. Thanks.
Hi All - There is a code fix published in another thread here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-unresponsive-in-windows-11-betadev/dec...

This one will repair the taskbar issue without messing with dates
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sandeep_PS (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Change the date to Sept.4th or later through the control panel. Tried and it works. Found on Weibo.

View solution in original post