SOLVED

Microsoft Store on Win 11 Pro just started failing updates with the same old error message

Copper Contributor

Someone out there must know how to fix this. Any help much appreciated, thank you. I successfully updated Apple iTunes on the MS Store 2 days ago. Today the store says an update is available (I don't believe this is correct). When I attempt to update the app I get the infamous "Something happened at our end" error message (more details = "There has been an error" code 0x80070005).

I used to see this frequently on the Win 10 store. Nothing I do can fix it. I have of course reset the store app, run "wsreset", logged out-and-in, rebooted, etc. "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" both report no errors.

I deleted the (perfectly working) iTunes app band now cannot reinstall. Fortunately I have a backup from 2 days ago.

What is this error code? MS seems to use this code for almost everything (rendering it useless IMO).

The MS Store downloads the entire app every time I retry, and just fails during installation on my disk. So it must be a corrupted/changed permission setting or similar, that prevents installation.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Mick_Sanders (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Mick_Sanders 

Hi, I suggest you check the Defender firewall (add allowed application) if you have enabled limited access to the folder.

of course, a third-party antivirus can also block the installation

@A1 

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply. Yes, I only have MS Defender and I also checked the permissions of the relevant Store package folders.

I did find a solution to what may be an Apple iTunes issue: I noticed that the version of iTunes was not in fact the latest (ie. MS Store failed to ever update it). I restored my partition back to 3 March (before the iTunes and massive MS patch updates). I then ran "repair" on the old iTunes, then updated it in MS Store; this took 2 attempts but now the issue seems resolved.

Thanks again and regards. M

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mick_Sanders (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Mick_Sanders 

Hi, I suggest you check the Defender firewall (add allowed application) if you have enabled limited access to the folder.

of course, a third-party antivirus can also block the installation

View solution in original post