Keyboard shortcuts in Win-X menu not working

Copper Contributor

A few days ago all the keyboard shortcuts in the Win-X menu (Start right-click) have completely stopped working.

Hitting Win-X still opens the menu, but none of the subsequent keyboard commands, such as Win-X -> U -> S for sleep, work anymore.

This happened on two of my computers, both running Windows 11 22H2 and fully up to date, but randomly corrected itself on one but not the other.

9 Replies
I'm suffering the same issue and it's really annoying. The keyboard shortcuts came back for a little while, but then went missing again. From what I can tell this has been an issue for over a year

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/odb4vz/windows_11s_winx_menu_is_missing_access_keys/
Mine came back about two days after posting. Not related to any update as far as I could tell....

I was just harassed into "upgrading" from Win10 to Win11 and now the shortcuts in the Win+X menu don't work.

I've been using Win+X>U>U to  quickly shutdown my PC for years and now it doesn't work half the time.

It keeps working and not working randomly. This behavior makes no sense.

same inconsistent behavior here - if only microsoft was a large corporation with lots of resources so they could polish their operating systems *before* they release them. Alas, they're just a small company still operating out of a garage. /s

@t-cth I, too, am having this issue.  If I restart my computer, the Win-X keyboard shortcuts work for a little while but after some unknown amount of time, they disappear again.,

@t-cth I fixed the issue on my machine by turning on Underline access keys in Settings

ehansen9_0-1682404895489.png

Thanks a lot @ehansen9 

This fixed the issue for me.

This kind of issue really shouldn't happen. Microsoft need to properly test their software before updating/upgrading/releasing.

@ehansen9 

I love you so much bro <3

Restart your computer: Sometimes a simple restart can fix the issue.
Check if the shortcuts are still assigned: Press Win-X and hover over the options to see if the letter keys next to the options are still assigned correctly.
Check if the settings are still enabled: Go to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar and make sure the "Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the start button or press Windows key + X" option is turned on.
Check for updates: Make sure your Windows is up to date with the latest updates.
Check for conflicting software: Try disabling any third-party software that may be conflicting with the Win-X menu.
Create a new user account: Create a new user account and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, it may be a problem with your user account.
If none of these solutions work, you may need to consider doing a system restore or even a clean install of Windows 11.