SOLVED

I need an easy way out of the Win11 dev channel to regular version without reinstall everything

Copper Contributor

I was one of early tryout user of WSL2 on Win10 insider program on 2019. And since I'm done of WSL2, so I'm trying to switch back to the regular version since months ago.

Still on Win10: download media creation and try to use it to upgrade to regular Win11, it glitches and say it's facing unexpected error(wth?). It was too late so I just turn off my monitor and go to bed. next morning, the cheat microsoft updater just upgraded me to the Win11 dev version(WTH??). If nothing goes wrong since then, this post might be here.

Two months ago, another MS update 25252 that made one of my 4TB HDD unreadable, look like somehow it damaged its firmware so BIOS can't identify it properly and frozen. I won't be able to boot up if I don't unplug its sata cable. It really took me a while to figure out which HDD is damaged since I have many HDDs and SSDs. So I'm sure it's no doubt that this version of Win11 is nothing but a time bomb.

I checked the [Reset my PC] in System > Restore and media creation installer, first one seem like it could keep my settings and files, but will remove all applications that I have installed(wth) and I'm not sure which version will it install; the other one said it's going to install an lower version of Win11 so I can't even keep my settings and files(WTH). Reinstall and configure them would take me about two weeks, so I would prefer if there is third way that I can just install an new Win11 to replace this one, so I can keep most of them.

Finally, Windows Devs. GIVE US AN EASY WAY OUT OF DEV CHANNEL WITHOUT PURGE EVERYTHING! Test users for new features like me would be god **bleep** grateful.

4 Replies
Well, too late. It BSOD with an error "inaccessible boot device" while I'm trying to update my AMD display driver. What a truly disappointment on how it's closure from the insider program.
best response confirmed by Kaninch3n (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Kaninch3n 

"I checked the [Reset my PC] in System > Restore and media creation installer, first one seem like it could keep my settings and files, but will remove all applications that I have installed(wth) and I'm not sure which version will it install; the other one said it's going to install an lower version of Win11 "

Lowering the Dev channel. - to Beta without a clean installation of Windows - is available!!! - Micr...

Unfortunately, this will reinstall the same version of Dev.

Really only in the spring of 2022 it was possible to lower the channel - to the Beta version, but now, unfortunately, there is no such possibility.

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Learn

No wonder that I have a blink of memory that I could change channel. I really hate how they close it even limited my ability to upgrade it from Win10 dev to Win11 public release.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kaninch3n (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Kaninch3n 

"I checked the [Reset my PC] in System > Restore and media creation installer, first one seem like it could keep my settings and files, but will remove all applications that I have installed(wth) and I'm not sure which version will it install; the other one said it's going to install an lower version of Win11 "

Lowering the Dev channel. - to Beta without a clean installation of Windows - is available!!! - Micr...

Unfortunately, this will reinstall the same version of Dev.

Really only in the spring of 2022 it was possible to lower the channel - to the Beta version, but now, unfortunately, there is no such possibility.

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post