How to enable 'Never Combine taskbar buttons'. Windows 11 ?

Steel Contributor

Hi @all
I did not find this function 'Never Combine taskbar buttons'. How can this function be found and enabled in windows 11?
I can't work with multi-tab on windows 11.

Thank you!

598 Replies

@drprez I am so looking forward to a solution of this! Drives me crazy!

@zitalenaI tried and tried to make it work, but it was just too frustrating to work with two files and constantly make these extra clicks to switch windows. I reinstalled windows 10 and have a newfound hate for windows in general. Laughably idiotic decision to intentionally destroy your customer's productivity.

Unless you want to use at least two 3rd party apps, you can't... Microsoft Windows is not for power users anymore! I have 2 (VERY old) Linux machines and bought a new laptop with Windows 11... I used to prefer Windows for 99% of what I do... The Linux machines were for very technical tasks only.

I'll hold on to Windows 11 on my new laptop for another month or 2 in hopes that they AT LEAST fix the taskbar icon grouping issue, and hope they return more user options/settings to tweak the GUI, but for me, this is a deal-breaker and it seems likely I will be removing Windows from my new machine and installing Linux. Windows 7 was terrible in look and many functions but usable, 8 was quirky and not very good either - a slight improvement over 7, 10 was usable but oversimplified - fixed many of 8's issues but still very few user options, 11 is so oversimplified that it is nearly unusable... I would rather use Windows 98's OS/GUI or even XP/NT/2000 if it was compatible with my new hardware than Windows 11. There are many good reasons Apple isn't used for productivity, I would highly suggest Microsoft NOT imitate them.

I have already had to enter about 20 registry keys just to get back a few features that you should be able to turn on by simply going into Control Panel or Settings... nobody says you have to MAKE people turn these options on, but PLEASE, at least give them/us the OPTION to do so! Having to enter these has actually managed to make Windows LESS user friendly than Linux!!! Something I thought was impossible!

...Not to mention Windows 11 STILL feels Bulky/Heavy/Slow (just slightly faster than previous versions) and although my hardware is not a gaming machine, it is FAR from slow... but Windows 11 is like a heavy anchor, and it's lack user interface customization is like attaching a very short chain to that anchor... you can try, but you're not getting anywhere with this software!

Dear Microsoft,

Without the ability to UNGROUP taskbar icons/tasks even a Chromebook is just as good for productivity, and in the professional world, using a Chromebook for work is still a joke, but it and Google Docs are gaining ground... If you want to loose market-share to Android/Chromebook, Apple, Linux, and any other competition, this is how you do it... this is how you GIVE them (your competition) that ground, this is how you give away your user base to your competition, this is how you turn a versatile OS and an great GUI that works for average Joes AND power-users too into unproductive garbage. This is how you loose the tech race.

MS could give us any kind of reply because of that bullshit and what's their plan, because as we all know it's unacceptable and it tends to hang in limbo for too long already.
Yes, we need to bring back "Never Combine taskbar buttons' to taskbar settings!

I just came onto the microsoft forum because i wanted to never combine my taskbar buttons, but windows 11 is shit and was created by retards. Just sack the tosser who thought it was a good idea to remove this function in windows 11. I dont care if he is banging the Bosses daughter and because of that you all have to pretend what he says is an amazng idea. its not a good idea, the guys full of shit, so just sack the **bleep** and let us never combine the taskbar!

Can't Microsoft re-enable the "Go back" option in System/Recovery so we can roll back to Windows 10?

@Mousefluff 
this code disable windows button and the search highly not recomended 

@hoanglongson 

Come on microsoft, removinf the option to not combine items on the taskbar is INSANE and destroys the OS for me... Hello Mac....

Upvote feedback to back - https://aka.ms/AAeyt69

Mark as resolved

@filipkohout, thanks for that , but not sure what you meant by "Mark as resolved", as from what I can tell, there is nothing about this matter that is resolved.

I just loged into Feeback Hub and as of 13 Jan 2022, there is only 6,556 upvotes. This is not a significant amount of upvotes for Microsoft to take action against. Did this number change recently? Anyone keeping track?

How many upvotes does it take because this is still such a nuisance!

I agree.

Windows 11 doesn't enable you to ungroup ('never combine taskbar buttons'). This is a productivity killer for me. I am a developer and swap between different builds to check version control and this is a nightmare. Not sure why Microsoft would leave this feature out. We're a Microsoft Partner - and this is what erodes trust and willingness to upgrade. Please don't remove productivity features.  

Thanks.

This is great but it's not an official solution. That means that future Windows updates could potentially bork it or cause other issues. We need the feature restored as a canon Windows option. Many commercial operational procedures and policies will also not allow third party modifications of the OS. So while a policy restricted environment may allow the user to change legitimate Windows appearance settings, they will not allow installation of non-approved applications or grant privilege elevation for tweaking of registry settings etc.. The only solution in that situation is a legit option in Windows settings.

@MarcusD2125  Hi

Certainly, computers in the organization should not perform and use workarounds and you need to keep this in mind!

Microsoft community - waiting to improve it in an official way!

If someone got used to Windows10, he does not have to upgrade to Windows11.

If not a large percentage of users work on Windows11, Microsoft will be forced to improve productivity for Win11 in order to improve everything before 2025!

I understand the philosophy of this grouping feature and I love changing my habits to see if there is a better way. I've been trying to work with it for 1 month and sadly it is not working for me ! I think that for a small laptop it makes sense but if you work on big triple screens setup with a lot of browser windows open it is a NIGHTMARE !

I created an account just for this -> please Microsoft bring back this feature !!!

Icing on the cake 1 : some softwares that generate only one window in Win10 are now considered as multiple grouped windows (like paint.net) = hell on earth

Icing on the cake 2 : it is now impossible to drag & drop a file through those grouped icons...

I saw on this thread on october 2021 that Microsoft will put in the feature. But I have check Windows Update, until today still there is no Uncombined taskbar Feature for Windows 11.

I'll get back to *nix OSs for personal use if this feature doesn't return. No hard feelings.

Fabulous - works great - thanks. Couldn't quite believe than an upgrade removed really useful features