How to Change the Brightness of Screen in Windows 11

Iron Contributor

how-to-change-the-brightness-of-screen-in-windows-11

Step 1: Open the Windows Settings app.

Step 2: When it opens, go to the sidebar and click "System," then "Display."

Step 3: Scroll down to the section titled "Brightness & Color."

Step 4: Use the slider under "Brightness" to adjust the brightness of your built-in display.

Step 5: Close the Settings app when you are done.

47 Replies

I have the issue in adjusting screen brightness for windows 11.  Screen brightness adjust toggle is unavailable. This happened after updates. Could you please help with this.  @ammarjaved

@ammarjaved 

akling1_0-1644855271878.png

Mine does not have the brightness bar or the option to roll back the driver. I am up to date with windows updates. Windows 11 is just not what I had hoped it would be and this bright screen hurts my eyes and head. So is there a fix or work-around? Even the night mode is too bright.

@almamun Unfortunately, either Microsoft decided to omit the brightness adjustment (for no good reason) from the Display Settings or they forgot to include it. The only options for us users is to use the keyboard or monitor hardware keys, or the video card provided software to make the necessary adjustments.

Unfortunately my keyboard does not have those keys. How would I go about doing it through the monitor or video card? I've checked the software for monitor and it said I have the most current or does that have nothing to do with monitor hardware keys?

@ammarjavedOnly problem is, there IS no option under 'brightness and color'. The only option is for blue light filter [night light].

i'm having same issue. I got my new pc yesterday. I definately DID see an option for brightness at 1st. However i followed CyperCPU Tech's youtube video on how to make windows 11 private.

since then i havent seen the menu to adjust brightness. So i may be wrong, but my current hypothesis, is there is a setting (or 2) to do with privacy that somehow, for some reason removes the option to adjust brightness. Thats the only thing that changed since i had the brightness options and when i didnt.

should be simple to test (undo what i did one setting at a time) but instead im just gonna have a seperate screen dimmer software. i always tend to have one of them anyway.

no idea if this is helpful to anyone, but hopefully.

@almamun 

I am using windows 11 home edition, and I do not have the brightness slider bar under the Settings -> System -> Display menu.  The brightness bar used to be there, disappeared a few days ago.  Any ideas how this could happen?

windowsUser2022_0-1648060139977.png

I also do not have the brightness slider. I don't understand how this can be an unresolved issue for so long. Has anyone found a fix?

@Peacetokengy I am disgusted that Microsoft have not fixed this problem. I am having to reset the brightness continuously which is an absolute pain when you are editing photographs and you want the brightness to remain constant. I feel windows is getting worse over time.

I have the very latest version of Windows 11 and THERE IS NO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL. I am guessing you are/were using a Beta that still had it.

If you are using a lap top plz look the buttons on the firt line you will find one for your problem. if you are usin a desk top use buttons on your monitor to change lights. @wasjera 

@Sostenes_Komba 

There appears to be two problems here:

1. Cannot change brightness due to no slider present

2. Can adjust brightness using slider, but adjustment changes all the time by itself

My problem is 2. Numerous times per day, I have to adjust the slider to get the correct brilliance. I like to have my brightness set at 50%, but for no reason, the system switches me back to 20% This happens numerous times per day, sometimes within minutes. I have also seen in this blog others who have the same problem - switching back to 20% for no apparent reason.

This problem has been here since the first release of Win 11. A bit of a shame, as Win 10 was such a great OS ( except last version which forced me to go Win 11) to be replaced by a lemon. Unfortunately, I have a recent model PC so it is not practical to go to Apple at this time. I don't particularly like the Apple OS, but it works, and when there is a problem, Apple fix it.

Very frustrated by the lack of action by Microsoft - or is it the combination of DELL and Microsoft that is the problem?

This is a bug, NOT a lack of knowledge to change a setting. I have used 3 different ways to change the brightness, so I know what I am doing.

i remember having such a problem in a couple of years ago, when i was using window 8. but i came to notice that, the problem happens only when the window is out of date, if you up date the brightness maintains your settings. so, try to update your window see if the problem will persist.

@BroadKiwi Its graphics drivers' problem, I guess. Just reinstall it or disable and enable it again from the device manger

For anyone searching for brightness control, I found it in the Mobility Center

same problem did you get a answer?

@ammarjaved I have the same problem and it is years after this thread was started. My Windows and devie drivers are up to date, the brightness in the Mobility Center is at 100%, and still my screen is very dim. I am disgusted that no-one has fixed this yet.

Same here. There is no Windows update available, and yet there is no brightness bar. This is a brand new computer with the best specs I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. It can even run Crisis. Alas, no brightness bar is available to me.

I end up just using the buttons on the monitor to adjust the brightness

@BroadKiwi 

I don't show the brightness bar