How can I resolve QuickBooks Error 80040408 when trying to connect to the company file?

Copper Contributor

Encountering QuickBooks error 80040408. How can I fix this issue and ensure smooth operation of my QuickBooks software?

1 Reply

Hi,@Carole_Beaty608 

QB Begin Session Failed error 80040408 states connectivity issues when trying to set up QuickBooks with a third-party application using the Web Connector.

The error is the direct result of the incorrect setup of a multi-user environment or if your QuickBooks is not open to NO company window to refresh the data. This error will display as “80040408: Could not start QuickBooks.”

To establish a connection with third-party applications, you must fix the error instantly. Therefore, below, we have provided some of the best you should follow carefully:

1. Restart your computer

2. Ensure the QuickBooks file does not have restrictions to open.

Let’s set up the permission for the QuickBooks program file:

• Find the folder where the QuickBooks program file is saved.
  • Look for the QuickBooks.exe file and right-click on it.
  • Choose Properties and move to the Sharing tab.
  • Choose the Share this Folder option.
  • Now, change the name of this folder by entering a new name in the Share Name field.
  • Move to the Security tab and choose Permissions for each user who can access the folder.
  • Finally, select Apply and then click OK.

3. Check if the QuickBooks program is running with admin rights. If it is, go to the QuickBooks Properties window and uncheck the Run as Administrator option.

Once you have done this, you are all set up to connect your third-party applications with QuickBooks. However, if QuickBooks error 80040408 persists, visit our detailed article or reach out to us for help.

Quickbooks Help & Support.png