How best to migrate Apps & Data from Win10 PC to new Win11 PC

Copper Contributor

Would appreciate advice for my options with this migration.

Thanks

9 Replies

@Paul Batt 

Hi, if this is your personal computer, it is recommended to make a copy of the files in OneDrive - for your Microsoft account, you will have synchronization with the new computer after logging in to OneDrive.
If you have an application from the Microsoft store, if you log in with the same account, then all applications can be installed on a new computer

Thank you for your prompt advice.
And that method will work from Win 10 to Win 11?
Yes, of course - you can download applications from the Microsoft store associated with your account up to 6 computers - this is most often - check in the Microsoft store.
Good luck

Is it possible to migrate non-Microsoft apps from one laptop to another? (maybe by transferring them via a thumb-drive or something similar)?

@emskevin 

No, it's best to download and install on a second computer directly from the Microsoft Store, or from the app developer's website, once you log in, everything will sync on the second computer, of course, you can move the files to an external drive

For apps downloaded from Microsoft Store, the apps will be synced automatically after sign-in on Windows 11. For non Microsoft apps, you have to download and install manually.
First, make sure login a Microsoft account on Windows 10 PC. And sync with this account. All apps and microsoft staff will be downloaded to new Windows 11 PC.
I used a third party backup tool to make a copy of the system, then restored the Windows 10 System to my new PC and then simply did the upgrade with the usual Windows Update functionality.
I used Acronis for it, there's a free version if you own a WD drive.
A more straightforward approach is to clone the old Windows 10 drive to the new Windows 11 computer. By doing so, you can boot with my existing Windows 10 setup, retaining all my files and applications. The next steps would involve updating the drivers before transitioning to Windows 11. This method is notably less complicated than it may seem, especially when compared to the hassle of reinstalling every application and transferring data manually. To clone the disk, simply connect the old drive to the new computer, either internally or through a USB adapter, and employ a cloning tool like Macrium Reflect or Acronis. Upon the initial boot on the new machine, be prepared for a slight delay as it installs necessary drivers.