High CPU usage because of wsappx, is there a solution?

Copper Contributor

Suddenly, my laptop fan started making noise, because of high CPU usage by the wsappx service and Task Manager indicated "Very high energy consumption". A quick search on the Internet discovered that I am not the first experiencing this problem. And the go-to "solution" seems to be to turn off Windows Store using the Group Policy Editor or the Registry Editor (I needed to do both). 

But this doesn't seem to be a very good solution, having to turn important Windows features off.

Will there be a fix for this issue?

12 Replies
Are you facing this issue in the Windows Insider?
Open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
Try run Windows Update and download and install all updates.
Try check for update in the Microsoft Store app.

@Reza_Ameri 

I am not participating in Windows Insider.

I have downloaded and installed all updates.

I have now reported this issue to Feedback Hub.

No change. I need to flip a "home made" flag in Register Editor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJcQx4WGWI) and restart the PC, then wsappx CPU usage goes down. But the next day it is back on "very high energy consumption". Extremely annoying. :(

@Stormbringer60 

Hi, outside the hours of active use -> do you leave the computer overnight in a sleep, connected to the power supply?

Just to test, try performing a Clean Boot and see if the problem persists?
Have a look at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...
I have Windows 11, this instruction is for previous versions.
"No"
Does this mean that after finishing work you close the system and turn off the power?
This instruction also worked in the Windows 11.
You may open start and search for msconfig and do the same steps.

@Stormbringer60 

Win11 , performs a lot of checking processes and daily maintenance in the background - and updates and migrates .
This -> your way of using your computer is causing the problem!
Outside of working hours, the computer should remain asleep connected to power and the Internet, please check it for a few days and write how it works.

What is WSAPPX ? - Microsoft Community