Explorer.exe error

Copper Contributor

Automatically updated my laptop last December. Since then, I have been getting explorer.exe errors when I open applications or programs that I use. The error states that "this resource is not in the required state ". I have tried going to HP (my computer is HP) and they say it is a Windows problem. I am an online student and I need the computer to work for me for school. I found where the event logs are located and looked at them. One of the issues is that according to the system I am on Windows 11, but according to the error messages it lists the system as Windows 10. Any and all help would be appreciated. I don't think my computer should have automatically updated like it did, but I am stuck with it now and need some help. Thank you. 

2 Replies
Hello,

Suggest you to run System File Checker scan:

1. Search for 'command prompt' using Cortana or Windows Search.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

If issue still persists, perform clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Let us know if this helps!

@Kapil Arya 

I will try that in 2 weeks when my class right now ends. I'm scared to do anything because at least right now I can go online for my class. If something happens with this computer I'm sunk. I have nothing else that I can get into class with. I will let you know what happens. Thank you so much for reaching out.