SOLVED

cmd.exe will not run

Copper Contributor

I have been having some issues with windows 11's terminal apps.

When executed, cmd.exe will exit immediately which exit code. Powershell and wsl all work fine.

PS C:\Users\user> cmd
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.282]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
PS C:\Users\user>

Windows Terminal somehow got into my Win+X menu, even after I uninstall Windows terminal. 

In additional, Windows terminal does not show as an option in default terminal app in the terminal settings.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by cwang36 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @cwang36

Windows 11 comes with Windows Terminal as the default command-line tool. However, you can still use the cmd as a command-line tool by the following below steps.

cmd.png

Thanks for the reply, @SalmanAhmed , didn't know that Windows Terminal now comes preinstalled with the system.

The issue with cmd.exe exiting with code 1 is eventually fixed after a clean install of windows 11. I was originally upgraded from windows 10.

Thanks for your feedback!
It is extremely important to have such a comprehensive tool that supports a number of commands from Linux, PowerShell, SSH, and Cloud Shell. It is a big shift to move from a traditional console to Windows Terminal that will support the commands and run applications from a different platform.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cwang36 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @cwang36

Windows 11 comes with Windows Terminal as the default command-line tool. However, you can still use the cmd as a command-line tool by the following below steps.

cmd.png

View solution in original post